Re: List of ESMTP extensions

Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com> Fri, 10 April 1998 19:08 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:08:21 -0700
From: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
To: ietf-smtp@imc.org
Subject: Re: List of ESMTP extensions
Sender: owner-ietf-smtp@imc.org

>See http://pobox.com/~djb/surveys/smtpextensions.txt. You missed ONEX,
>VERB, and VRFY. There are also lots of X extensions that should be
>documented.

RFC1869 seems to indicate that VRFY is required and thus doesn't need
to be advertised in an EHLO response.

>> CAPABILITIES|draft-ietf-fax-smtp-capabilities|Finding out server capabilities
>
>I continue to be amazed at this proposal. Previous commentary:
>
>: CAPS has surpassed ETRN in the ``Most absurd use of port 25'' contest.

That's an honor.  :-)

>: Has anyone informed the authors that store-and-forward mail systems do
>: not provide an online end-to-end link from the receiver to the sender?

Yep, I'm aware of that.

>: Why would anyone even imagine putting this feature into SMTP? Is there
>: something wrong with today's public-information retrieval protocols? I
>: realize that ftpd and fingerd don't have enough hooks, but why not use
>: httpd?

We will likely drop the proposal anyways in favor of
draft-ietf-fax-mdn-features-01.txt, anyways, but if you're honestly
interested in a justification for draft-ietf-fax-smtp-capabilities I
can give you several.

-Dan Wing