Media Types 'text/csv' and 'text/comma-separated-values'

YakovS at solidmatrix.com (Yakov Shafranovich) Fri, 04 February 2005 00:08 UTC

From: "YakovS at solidmatrix.com"
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 00:08:48 +0000
Subject: Media Types 'text/csv' and 'text/comma-separated-values'

Martin,

The reason why I put in an additional 'text/comma-separated-values' type
is because there is an existing registration for
"text/tabbed-separated-values" and I thought that the CSV one should
correspond to the existing one. However, its too long for practical use
which is why I included "text/csv" as well. In practice I have seen both
being used.

In truth, I don't know enough about the historical conventions for MIME
types to judge whether an existing registration for
"tabbed-separated-values" should mandate "comma-separated-values". I
assumed that there is a convention, but if in fact I am wrong, I will be
happy to adjust the draft to target one type.

As for the encoding section, you have a valid point. I will adjust it
for the -01 draft including the ABNF grammar in the appendix.

Yakov