For review: draft-baker-soap-media-reg-05

mark.nottingham at bea.com (Mark Nottingham) Mon, 03 May 2004 06:21 UTC

From: "mark.nottingham at bea.com"
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 06:21:04 +0000
Subject: For review: draft-baker-soap-media-reg-05

Hi Chris.

For interoperability. In particular, if any version of XML is allowed,
it's possible to have a message that contains characters that are
impossible to re-serialize into a lower version of XML; as a result,
intermediaries in particular, may be in a difficult situation.

We expect that other versions of XML would be accommodated by other
media types; there is nothing in SOAP itself that constrains the
version of XML.

The related errata issues (rec20[1] and rec22[2]) against SOAP 1.2 were
resolved last week, but unfortunately the result isn't reflected in
their summaries, and the meeting minutes are not yet available. This
information should be available very soon.

Regards,

1. http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-rec-issues.html#x20
2. http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-rec-issues.html#x22

On Apr 30, 2004, at 3:28 PM, Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Saturday, May 1, 2004, 12:09:31 AM, Mark wrote:
>
> MN> The only substantive change in this draft is the restriction of the
> MN> content to XML 1.0 (i.e., XML 1.1 SOAP envelopes cannot be
> identified
> MN> by this media type).
>

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-baker-soap-media-reg-05.txt
>
> What motivates this change? Why exclude XML 1.1?
>
> --
>  Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris@w3.org
>  Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
>  Member, W3C Technical Architecture Group

Office of the CTO   BEA Systems