Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-opes-smtp-security (Integrity, privacy and security in OPES for SMTP) to Informational RFC

Markus Hofmann <markus@mhof.com> Fri, 12 January 2007 02:02 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:01:49 -0500
From: Markus Hofmann <markus@mhof.com>
To: Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
Cc: "Stecher, Martin" <martin_stecher@securecomputing.com>, dcrocker@bbiw.net, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-opes-smtp-security (Integrity, privacy and security in OPES for SMTP) to Informational RFC

Tony Finch wrote:

>> If the current document is intended as a case analysis for a particular
>> application -- namely email -- to serve as *input* to the design of the OPES
>> architecture and protocols, then I do not see how the current document
>> achieves that.
>
> I believe it's intended to fit the existing OPES architecture to SMTP.

The original charter of OPES focused on services operating on HTTP
messages. OPES was then re-chartered to add support for services
operating on SMTP.

In a first step, the WG discussed how the SMTP work would have to
address the IAB considerations for OPES [RFC 3238]. The draft
(draft-ietf-opes-smtp-security) summarizes the results of these discussions.

Since there's a lack of interest (i.e. not a sufficient number of active
contributors) we decided *not* to move forward with the SMTP work and to
dissolve the WG.

The intend of publishing this document before dissolving the WG is to
have the discussion on how the IAB considerations apply to OPES/SMTP
written down, in case individual contributors might pick-up the
OPES/SMTP work later on (although we don't have indication this might
happen).

Thanks,
   Markus