getting IPv6 space without ARIN (Re: PAT )

Michael Richardson <mcr@solidum.com> Wed, 16 August 2000 22:50 UTC

To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: getting IPv6 space without ARIN (Re: PAT )
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:47:55 -0400
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@solidum.com>

    >> But, where do I get that chunk of IPv6 address space?  From your
    >> service provider, of course.

    David> If you (as an end user, presumably -- apologies if this is not a
    David> correct assumption) do not get your address space from your
    David> service provider, you will be creating the exact same swamp
    David> problem that exists with IPv4.  Only the potential size of the
    David> swamp is many orders of magnitude larger.

  This is a red-herring.

  a) my service provider isn't IPv6 ready. I am doubtful that any of them
	will be for a long time as far as I can tell. I will be building a
	tunnels for a long time.
	(traceroute to wirespeed.solidum.com if you want to know who my ISP is)

  b) in the situation where I am using IPv6 instead of RFC1597, then
	my address can't be topologically significant.

  c) multihoming.

   :!mcr!:            |  Solidum Systems Corporation, http://www.solidum.com
   Michael Richardson |For a better connected world,where data flows faster<tm>
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
	mailto:mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca	mailto:mcr@solidum.com