Re: Question about the normative nature of IETF RFCs

"JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@jefsey.com> Thu, 29 September 2005 00:04 UTC

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 02:03:16 +0200
To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, "Fleischman, Eric" <eric.fleischman@boeing.com>
From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Question about the normative nature of IETF RFCs
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Interestingly, Transpac, the French X.25/Minitel network (by then the
largest data network in the world, so acting as a kind of reference)
"published" a test machine (probably around 1982?) everyone could use
to verify his conformance to the (stringent) network requirments. At
the Den Hague ISIS Club (1984?) the Dutch PTTs proposed to extend
that pratice to the whole International Network, standardising the
running test program concept (for OSI, DECNET, IBM/SNA, Swift, Sita,
etc.. then supported  protocols). . This was further discussed within
the CEPT (European Public Operators Club) for OSI services, but I did
not heard of any decision or CCITT (ITU-T) proposition. This kind of
standardisation by the "running test" was a standard question when
discussing a new root name interconect. But I do not think it was
used by any other OSI operators ?

The concept is however appealing: to add a test running code to an
RFC,  as a way to  document, check and enforce its standard?
jfc