Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-http-forwarded-06.txt> (Forwarded HTTP Extension) to Proposed Standard

Alissa Cooper <acooper@cdt.org> Mon, 09 July 2012 18:27 UTC

Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-http-forwarded-06.txt> (Forwarded HTTP Extension) to Proposed Standard
From: Alissa Cooper <acooper@cdt.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 14:27:49 -0400
Cc: apps-discuss@ietf.org

(incorporating some responses to http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-discuss/current/msg06599.html as a LC comment)

It would be helpful if this document could further motivate the need for proxies to generate static obfuscated tokens. These two lines in particular, from 6.3 and 8.3, respectively, seem a bit weak:

"The identifiers can
   be randomly generated for each request and do not need to be
   statically assigned to resources."

"When using such tokens, a static token per user would increase the
   possibility for external organizations to track separate users."

Is it possible to recommend that generated tokens have limited lifetimes (per-request or otherwise), and make the static case the exception? The first statement above gets at this, but it seems to me that the middle ground between random generation per request and permanent unique token is worth emphasizing if there will be proxies that want to keep per-client identifiers around for some limited amount of time that isn't forever.

It's also worth noting that the second statement above is equally true for statically provisioned client IP addresses.

Also, this statement in 8.3 is not really true and probably better left out:

"Proxies using this extension will preserve the information of a
   direct connection, which has an end-user privacy impact, if the end-
   user or deployer does not know or expect that this is the case."

There can certainly be a privacy impact whether the user or deployer has awareness/expectation or not.

Alissa