Re: Last Call: draft-freed-sieve-environment (Sieve Email Filtering: Environment Extension) to Proposed Standard

Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu> Tue, 18 March 2008 15:14 UTC

From: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>
To: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-freed-sieve-environment (Sieve Email Filtering: Environment Extension) to Proposed Standard
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:10:18 -0400
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

    Cyrus> Hi Sam, --On March 18, 2008 4:51:42 AM -0400 Sam Hartman
    Cyrus> <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu> wrote:

    >> This extension appears to conflate two unrelated things:
    >> information about the interpreter context and information about
    >> the message.
    >>
    >> I don't think these two sets of information are similar enough
    >> that the same interface should be used to get to both of them.
    >>
    >> In particular I believe that the remote-host and remote-ip
    >> variables are inappropriate and should not be standardized.
    >>
    >> I believe an applicability statement should be added to the
    >> extension making it clear that this extension is only for
    >> interpreter state and that another extension should be designed
    >> for examining information about the message.
    >>

    Cyrus> I am confused as to which items you think relate to a
    Cyrus> message as opposed to the interpreter state. This extension
    Cyrus> is supposed to be all about interpreter state - tests
    Cyrus> against messages are handled in the SIEVE base and the
    Cyrus> other extensions.

The remote IP address and remote hostname.  The draft explicitly talks
about how the remote source of the current message is part of the context:

   The "environment" extension provides a new environment test that can
   be used to implement scripts that behave differently when moved from
   one system to another, when messages arrive from different remote
   sources or when otherwise operated in different contexts.