Re: The Devil's in the Deployment RE: NATs as firewalls

Russ White <riw@cisco.com> Sat, 10 March 2007 03:02 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 09:04:05 -0500
From: Russ White <riw@cisco.com>
To: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>
Cc: Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: The Devil's in the Deployment RE: NATs as firewalls

> 	We have IPv6 Locally Assigned Local Addresses.

Doesn't this presume that if people used these locally assigned
addresses they would then NAT to a public address space?

I think the main thing folks might miss is that a lot of people really
want all of this on a single address--while having multiple addresses
concurrent on a single machine is acceptable for larger machines,
specifically servers, having multiples on a  =
since the entities involved in the 802.11i 4-way handshake are, I think, =
quite different from the EAP entities.&nbsp; In general, the =
consumers/users of the keys that may be generated as a side-effect of =
EAP authentication are not identical to the EAP entities, however, a =
fact that seems to be if not lost then at least glossed over in this =
document.&nbsp; Further&nbsp; examples can be found in the definitions =
of &quot;Transient EAP Keys (TEKs)&quot;, where the EAP peers are =
presumed to continue sending &amp; receiving encrypted data after =
authentication is complete(!) and &quot;Transient Session Keys =
(TSKs)&quot;, where the EAP peers negotiate a ciphersuite for this =
purpose.&nbsp; Although I don't think it's prohibited for EAP methods to =
negotiate ciphersuites for subsequent use _by other protocols_ (such as =
802.11i, etc.), I don't know of any that do &amp; I don't think that =
that is what is meant in this definition: it is only the rather IMHO =
sloppy use of the terms &quot;authenticator&quot; and &quot;peer&quot; =
to mean, basically, &quot;whatever is hanging off the ends of the =
wire&quot; that allows this usage.</FONT></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C75E3E.929A9595--