Re: IAB proposal for CIDR and IPv7

William Allen Simpson <bsimpson@angband.stanford.edu> Fri, 03 July 1992 17:12 UTC

Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1992 02:39:58 -0400
From: William Allen Simpson <bsimpson@angband.stanford.edu>
To: ietf@isi.edu
Cc: big-internet@munnari.oz.au
Subject: Re: IAB proposal for CIDR and IPv7

Two administrative discrepencies:

 1) When I went to read this fine document, I discovered that it
    consisted of an index of the directory on nnsc.nsf.net.  The same
    file was also at ftp.nisc.sri.com.  Hopefully, this will be fixed.
    (Debra Legare emailed me a separate copy when I reported the error.)

 2) I uploaded and just finished re-reading RFC994, which I hadn't
    looked at in a very long time.  The effect of the NLPID listed in
    that document when sending over current links will appear to be IP
    version 8, not 7.

        7.2.2    Network Layer Protocol Identifier

           The value of this field is set to binary 1000 0001 to identify this
           Network Layer protocol as ISO 8473, Protocol for Providing the
           Connectionless- mode Network Service. The value of this field is set
           to binary 0000 0000 to identify the Inactive Network Layer protocol
           subset.

    Or are we getting a new NLPID value "0111 xxxx" and defining our own
    IP/CLNP hybrid?

Bill_Simpson@um.cc.umich.edu
    bsimpson@ray.lloyd.com