Re: Authors soliciting comments

Greg Daley <greg.daley@eng.monash.edu.au> Wed, 12 January 2005 06:15 UTC

Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:54:26 +1100
From: Greg Daley <greg.daley@eng.monash.edu.au>
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Authors soliciting comments
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Fred,

I've previously worked with the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) here in
Australia, and they propagate several of these type of warnings
between meteorological, seismic and aviation agencies here
and around the world using message switching systems.

The Internet is used for dissemination in a number of ways.
In the late 90's tcp/telenet sessions were in use on
extranet/leased line links, and pager, fax and other direct to the
public warning dissemination systems were in use.

It's probably worth trying to get input from existing agencies tasked
with this role in various countries, and some organizations (such
as the World Meteorological Organization) may be interested in
contributing time and effort in this direction, but I don't know.
Perhaps there are also existing systems which may be used as a model.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that there is an actively monitored
tsunami service in the Indian ocean, which may have been able to
transfer such warnings.
The role of a generic, authenticated, internet-based warning system
may be useful in furture though.

Greg Daley