Re: I am willing to work within the IETF system

David Perkins <dperkins@synoptics.com> Mon, 07 September 1992 01:49 UTC

Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1992 18:49:39 -0700
From: David Perkins <dperkins@synoptics.com>
To: brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Subject: Re: I am willing to work within the IETF system
Cc: ietf@isi.edu

Dan,

In your reply, you indicated that you were not
informed with sufficient notice to be able to
plan to attend the meeting of the IDENT WG.
From my records, there was plenty of notice.
The IETF mailing list is the list used for
offical announcements such as IETF meeting
times and places.

Here is a portion of an early copy of the Boston
IETF agenda. It is not typically the case that the
IETF agenda be published on the WG mailing lists.
(Some do, most do not.) (This shows that a meeting
was scheduled and this scheduling was made publicly
known at least 1 month before the IETF conference.)
(The meeting time and date remained the same on
the final agenda.)

>         Agenda of the Twenty-Fourth IETF - as of 6/12/92 2:05pm
>                          (July 13-17, 1992)
>TUESDAY, July 14, 1992
>7:00-10:00 pm    Evening Sessions
>                 SEC    TCP Client Identity Protocol WG (ident)
>                        (Mike StJohns/DOD)

There is much information about the IETF which is made
available in online directories. This information can be gotten
via FTP access or EMAIL. One such anonymous FTP site
is ftp.nisc.sri.com.

From file 0mtg-sites.txt in directory ietf can be
found the date and location of the next IETF
conference. This information is shown below:

>Fall 1992
>
>     Washington, DC U.S. Sprint
>     Host:  Robert Collet
>     November 16-20, 1992

A first draft of the schedule has not yet been
posted.

If issues can not be worked out at a WG meeting
there are other alternates, such as BOFs, technical
presentations, and the open plenary that can be
used.  All of these are part of the IETF process.

Another part is online infomation. For example,
the charter for the IDENT WG and the minutes
for the WG are in the ietf directory.
(See files:
    ident-charter.txt
    ident-minutes-92jul.txt
    draft-ietf-ident-idserver-00.txt)

There is much information about the IETF and the
process that it follows in the IETF conference
proceedings. These can be purchased (or probably
borrowed from me since you live near by me. Pls
arrange a time to come over.)

Dan, you indicated your willingness to work within
the IETF system. And I've given you some pointers
to information sources. So, I trust you will follow
through and I'll bet that your issues will be resolved
in a way that will be the best for you and all.

P.S.  To everyone on the LIST and the principals,
      I apologize for butting in here.
/dave perkins, synoptics, 408-764-1516