Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

Cameron Byrne <cb.list6@gmail.com> Fri, 02 December 2011 00:27 UTC

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 16:27:46 -0800
Subject: Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request
From: Cameron Byrne <cb.list6@gmail.com>
To: Chris Donley <C.Donley@cablelabs.com>
Cc: IESG IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>

On Dec 1, 2011 4:02 PM, "Chris Donley" <C.Donley@cablelabs.com> wrote:

> This is not a new proposal.  People have been asking for the same thing
> for a long time.  Draft-bdgks does a good job spelling out the history
> (below). To say that we're trying to change the rules at the last minute
> is wrong.  People have been asking for such an allocation considering this
> use case as long ago as 2004, and fairly consistently since 2008. We and
> the other draft authors have been following IETF process, documenting the
> need, documenting the tradeoffs, and documenting the challenges with CGN
> for quite some time. People wouldn't keep coming back to the IETF again
> and again for seven years or so if we had a better way to satisfy this
> need (although I am aware that some operators have opted for squat space
> rather than push for a shared pool of CGN space).

I know this is not a new case.

And I know efforts to make 240/4 workable are also not new.

And, historically the answer is always no to new special ipv4 space.
Someone else can expound why. If I had 240/4 in 2008, I would not have ipv6
now, that is a straight strategic business planning fact.

Saying yes now, would be changing the rules because 'the rule' was/is 'no'
new space.

Cb

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bdgks-arin-shared-transition-space-03#ref