Re: Last Call: <draft-arkko-ipv6-only-experience-04.txt> (Experiences from an IPv6-Only Network) to Informational RFC

Joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> Sat, 17 December 2011 18:59 UTC

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 10:59:18 -0800
From: Joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
To: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-arkko-ipv6-only-experience-04.txt> (Experiences from an IPv6-Only Network) to Informational RFC
Cc: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>

On 12/16/11 05:18 , George, Wes wrote:
> I support the work behind this document, but I do have a concern that
> gives me pause regarding publishing it as an RFC in its current
> form.
>
> I worry that it will serve as a disincentive for people to attempt
> IPv6-only deployments. This is not because of the way that it's
> written, nor a commentary on the quality of the document itself. I
> think that it does a good job of noting that it is a snapshot and
> that things will continue to improve, etc. but it runs afoul of the
> limitations of the IETF's document process- a static document
> reporting "current" test findings is almost instantly obsolete. This
> is a much larger problem than this draft, but it is something to
> consider when thinking about the content of this draft and how it
> will be interpreted, the audience, etc.
>
> If the draft were to focus strictly on things which the *IETF* must
> fix in order to resolve outstanding problems with IPv6-only
> operation, those would be clearly actionable and new drafts written
> to resolve those issues could "update" this one, so that it's clear
> to future readers when something materially changes. In its current
> form, most of the noted "broken" things are related to specific
> implementations and therefore largely beyond the IETF's control (eg
> Skype, video game consoles, mobile phone stacks, etc). Unless it is
> updated with bis versions periodically when those issues are found to
> be resolved, it has the potential to mislead people as a source of
> information that they might use to determine if they should even
> consider trying this. Some of that information perhaps is better
> suited to a curated wiki, since it is easier to update it as the
> situation improves. FWIW, draft-donley-nat444-impacts has similar
> problems - very useful information, but not well-suited to s tatic
> documents.
>
> I don't know if that's enough to block the document, and I'm not
> going to be upset if it's published as-is, but I thought it was
> something that IESG should consider in their evaluation of the
> document. Perhaps it's a matter of delaying it for a bit and touching
> the document with updates to keep it active until we feel like we've
> reached an equilibrium after a bit more IPv6 deployment over the next
> 6-12 or even 18 months.

given that poeple are still noodling with ipv4 even now, I don't think
there's anymore danger of us being done in 18 months. I guess what I
would observe about documents like this is that people read them mostly
to the extent that they are germain to the problems that they have. at
some point the information here will be obsolecent, and if it's
important enough someone will undertake a new document, but maybe it
won't be.