Re: [Dime] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dime-realm-based-redirect-11.txt> (Realm-Based Redirection In Diameter) to Proposed Standard

Stefan Winter <stefan.winter@restena.lu> Mon, 19 August 2013 08:16 UTC

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 10:15:57 +0200
From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter@restena.lu>
Subject: Re: [Dime] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dime-realm-based-redirect-11.txt> (Realm-Based Redirection In Diameter) to Proposed Standard

Hello,

> The IESG has received a request from the Diameter Maintenance and
> Extensions WG (dime) to consider the following document:
> - 'Realm-Based Redirection In Diameter'
>   <draft-ietf-dime-realm-based-redirect-11.txt> as Proposed Standard

Sorry for bringing this up so late, but as I was writing my own dynamic
discovery draft for RADIUS, it occured to me that the usage of S-NAPTR
for Diameter brings a built-in support to signal realm-based redirect
*if* S-NAPTR discovery is used.

That only affects this document periphally; it describes realm-based
redirect for agent-based redirects, not for DNS-based; but still, the
wording in section 2 implies that using a realm-based-redirect-aware
Diameter agent is the only choice, and I think that should be rectified.

The mechanism for S-NAPTR realm-based redirect is built into the S-NAPTR
spec by allowing for "non-terminal" lookups; this is signalled by having
neither an "s" flag (for SRV targets) nor an "a" flag (for A/AAAA
targets); but instead an "" (empty) flag. The replacement string in the
NAPTR record is then the label of /another/ NAPTR lookup; that lookup is
then to be performed with the same service/protocol tag.

That makes the whole realm-based redirect problem very easy
protocol-wise. Consider a realm "foo.example" who wants to tell its
Diameter peers that its realm's application ID 123 is from now on served
from "example.com". It puts into DNS

foo.example.  43200   IN  NAPTR   100 10 "" "aaa+ap123:diameter.tls" ""
example.com

A client who got this answer would then query for

example.com NAPTR "aaa+ap123:diameter.tls"

and would get example.com's servers via SRV or A/AAAA records as
configured by the admins of example.com.

This is described in section 2.2.3 of RFC3958.

Now for the wording in the draft:

Sction 2: the first para needs a bit of a rewrite to factor in S-NAPTR's
capabilities.

I suggest something along the lines of:

"Realm-based redirection is implicitly a part of the Diameter base
protocol, but only where peer discovery using S-NAPTR is used (section
5.2 of [RFC6733], by using the non-terminal S-NAPTR flag). This allows
for both application-specific realm-based redirects, and for
application-agnostic (unconditional) realm-based redirects, and does not
require any Diameter agents.

For deployments which do not make use of S-NAPTR peer discovery, support
of realm-based redirection MUST be specified as part of functionality
supported by a Diameter application. (... continue with the rest of the
section ...)

Greetings,

Stefan Winter