Re: WG Review: Secure Telephone Identity Revisited (stir)

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> Wed, 21 August 2013 19:34 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 21:34:53 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: WG Review: Secure Telephone Identity Revisited (stir)
Cc: IESG IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, dcrocker@bbiw.net, ietf <ietf@ietf.org>

I noticed in a few places the suggestion to replace telephone number
with 'identity'.

I think that this is a particularly bad enhancement given how widely the
term identity is understood by most people.

In RFC 6973 we defined the term (which is inline with many of the
identity management efforts) as:

    $ Identity:  Any subset of an individual's attributes, including
       names, that identifies the individual within a given context.
       Individuals usually have multiple identities for use in different
       contexts.

I don't think that this is what the work is about.

Let's keep the charter text concise and enhance it later once work gets
done.

Ciao
Hannes