New SNMPv2 Proposal

Deirdre Kostick <kostick@qsun.ho.att.com> Fri, 07 July 1995 06:54 UTC

Date: Thu, 06 Jul 1995 14:04:41 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Deirdre Kostick <kostick@qsun.ho.att.com>
To: iesg@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: New SNMPv2 Proposal

If you are interested in reviewing
the security aspects of the new
SNMPv2 proposal developed by M. Rose,
K. McCloghrie, & G. Waters read:

draft-kzm-snmpv2-sec-alt-00.txt and
draft-kzm-snmpv2-adminv2-alt-00.txt

M. Rose has also written an executive
summary which was posted to the v2
list; I'll send you a copy in a separate
message.

Some highlights:

  o This proposal supports both
authentication and privacy algorithms.

  o The underlying administrative framework for
supporting the security features has changed and
the PDU format has also changed.

  o The administrative framework in the "old" SNMPv2
was based on entities called "parties" to which
auth protocol and privacy protocol info (& other info
like transport address, etc.) were associated.
In the new administrative framework, security information
is associated with a "user"; thus messages are authenticated
in relation to the user info, not in relation to
the source party info.

Note that this is just ONE proposal. It is likely
that other proposals may be posted to the working group
since this is an open process. The cut-off date
for new proposals is 8/4. However, I expect that many of
the new proposals and debate will focus on remote
configuration of this new administrative
model.

enjoy your reading,
Deirdre
 *not* have VRML capability, if you're
> cruising    down  the   Infobahn,  how  do    you  distinguish between
> mcdonalds.com and mcdonalds.com?

Of course, you can't, but that is the basis of the problem.  I just posted
a long discourse on the colliding namespace issue, so I won't go into it
all again.  Basically, I think we're going to have to make the Internet
and the Law a two-way street.  Establishment of NetMarks (through legislation)
is the only way this is going to happen.  (IMHO, of course).

> This whole argument would be a moot point if it were possible to display
> golden arches in 7 bit ASCII conveniently.....
>
> 				Valdis Kletnieks
> 				Computer Systems Engineer
> 				Virginia Tech

Agreed!  :-)

					-fjb
---
Fred Bourgeois							 fjb@frednet.com
President/CEO					    FREDNET Software, Felton, CA
		FREDNET is a Service Mark of FREDNET Software