Re: [mpls] [PWE3] IETF Last Call comment on draft-ietf-pwe3-gal-in-pw

"Bocci, Matthew (Matthew)" <matthew.bocci@alcatel-lucent.com> Fri, 02 September 2011 10:05 UTC

From: "Bocci, Matthew (Matthew)" <matthew.bocci@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com>, Stewart Bryant <stbryant@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 12:06:40 +0200
Subject: Re: [mpls] [PWE3] IETF Last Call comment on draft-ietf-pwe3-gal-in-pw
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, "pwe3-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <pwe3-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, Luca Martini <lmartini@cisco.com>, pwe3 <pwe3@ietf.org>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>

Sasha,

On your final comment on the concept of an MPLS-TP PW, RFC5586 has already made the distinction between the use of the GAL on PWs in MPLS-TP and in other MPLS environments. This draft aligns the two cases in terms of the applicability of the GAL, by updating RFC5586 to remove the restriction on its use and position in an MPLS-TP environment.

The case of interconnecting PW segments on MPLS-TP to PW segments on general MPLS networks should be discussed elsewhere, IMHO, as the interaction between the GAL and hashing on some PW segments is most likely not the only issue. RFC5921 rules out the use of ECMP in MPLS-TP networks, so one would not expect an MPLS-TP PSN to hash the flow label today. If that is going to change or if there are other flow label applications in MPLS-TP, then IMHO drafts detailing those applications should discuss the interaction with the GAL.

Regards,

Matthew