Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases-19

Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com> Wed, 24 October 2018 16:06 UTC

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
To: secdir@ietf.org
Cc: detnet@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org, draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases.all@ietf.org
Subject: Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases-19
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 09:06:25 -0700

Reviewer: Phillip Hallam-Baker
Review result: Ready

I have reviewed the document, and it is ready for publication. The document is
an analysis of the use cases and (now) properly refers to a separate security
considerations section.

The use cases document is ready for publication and this should go forward now.
However the security considerations document is still a work in progress, no
document shepherd assigned. Which is of course right and proper for a security
considerations relating to the final proposal. And of course it is useful to
nail down the use cases before looking at the security considerations. But the
use cases having deferred security to the external document risks creating a
deadlock situation.

It is important that the document contain a link to the security considerations
to be supplied but this should not hold up publication as an RFC.

My only comment on the referenced SC document at this stage is that it might be
that the term 'deterministic networking' overstates the requirements evidenced
by the use cases. In many of the cited use cases, what is required is a higher
degree of confidence that the network characteristics meet certain requirements
than an absolute guarantee. It might be that 'predictable networking' provides
a better description of those requirements.