RE: extension agent problem need help!!

Harald Tveit Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no> Fri, 29 October 1999 14:20 UTC

Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:02:05 +0200
To: Meena Palvannan <mpalvannan@pixstream.com>, "'Bruce E. Balden'" <balden@FIREPLUG.NET>
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no>
Subject: RE: extension agent problem need help!!
Cc: "'ietf@ietf.org'" <ietf@ietf.org>

At 09:04 29.10.99 -0400, Meena Palvannan wrote:
>Hi,
>Thanks for your response.
> >>Since an empty row doesn't signal the end, something else does.
>
>Can you tell me how to signal the end, as we are unable to retrieve the data
>even using getbulk
>It stops at the empty row.

If it's an SNMPv3 implementation, that's a bug.
The end is signalled by being returned a variable that's lexically later
than the range you wanted; the SNMP agent never knows where you intended to
stop.

>Apart from missing items after an empty row, retrieving data this way is
>very
>inefficient. Find out what data is there, and ask for it in chunks, naming
>each
>variable instance explicitly, multiple items per query to improve
>efficiency.
>At a certain point, you'll exceed the packet length or burden the managed
>device, but an optimum number of variables to retrieve at once should be in
>excess of 10, thereby reducing traffic load by that factor.

Get-next should be able to get through.

Perhaps you should contact the SNMPv3 group to discuss the problem.
snmpv3@lists.tislabs.com - it is considered polite to join the group before
asking questions, instructions can be found on the WG page.

              Harald A

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no