Re: Last Call: <draft-ymbk-aplusp-08.txt> (The A+P Approach to the IPv4 Address Shortage) to Experimental RFC

"Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com> Tue, 15 February 2011 17:06 UTC

Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-ymbk-aplusp-08.txt> (The A+P Approach to the IPv4 Address Shortage) to Experimental RFC
From: "Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:06:25 -0500
To: The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org>
Cc: "ietf@ietf.org IETF" <ietf@ietf.org>

One late comment: It would be helpful for this document to have some comment on how it impacts systems that provide geolocation information based on IP address.

Suggested text (not sure where to put this, maybe Section 1.1?):
"
As with other large-scale NAT systems, A+P will cause problems for systems that provide geolocation information based on IP addresses.  If these systems are unable to account use port information to identify hosts (i.e., if they continue to use IP addresses alone), then their precision will be reduced to the scale of the NAT -- potentially a large area.  Conversely, if such systems need to continue to be able to identify specific hosts, clients of such systems will need to provide port information, and servers will need to be able to use this information to identify hosts (e.g., by querying A+P binding tables).
"

See also my comments on draft-intarea-shared-addressing-issues:
<https://www.ietf.org/ibin/c5i?mid=6&rid=49&gid=0&k1=933&k2=55495&tid=1297789532>