Off-topic postings

Brant Knudson <blk@ACM.ORG> Wed, 21 October 1998 04:40 UTC

Sender: blk@chmls11.mediaone.net
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:24:33 +0000
From: Brant Knudson <blk@ACM.ORG>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Off-topic postings

To my Esteemed Colleagues:

There has been a lot of discussion on this mailing list concerning
allowing spammers access to every mailbox.  This topic has been
addressed in other forums, for the reason that it is important to curb
spamming in order to keep the Internet running smoothly and
efficiently.  After a short time spent searching, I ran across this I-D
concerning the topic, put out by the Responsible Use of the Network
(run) WG (07/98).  Here is a quote from "DON'T SPEW : A Set of
Guidelines for Mass Unsolicited Mailings and Postings (spam*)"[1], page
10:
   If you are running a mailing-list, be sure to allow postings by
   subscribers only.  Make sure your charter forbids any off-topic
   posts.  There is another spam-related problem with mailing-lists

Here is a quote from the IETF mailing lists page[2]
"The IETF discussion list is open, and therefore has a wide range of
topics."

The only off-topic subjects explicitly mentioned (on this page) are
"employment opportunities and advertsing (sic)" and
subscribe/unsubscribe requests.  I haven't found another page limiting
topics on this list any further.

[1] http://www.ietf.org./internet-drafts/draft-ietf-run-spew-06.txt
[2] http://www.ietf.org./maillist.html

Brant Knudson
blk@acm.org

An advance transcript of the new TLD BOF:
"AAA?" "yes" "AAB?" "yes" "AAC?" "yes" ... "ZZZ?" "yes"