Re: IETF Y2K Compliance...

"Jim Fleming" <jfleming@anet.com> Fri, 09 July 1999 15:10 UTC

From: Jim Fleming <jfleming@anet.com>
To: Ned Freed <Ned.Freed@innosoft.com>, Jim Fleming <jfleming@anet.com>
Cc: fred@cisco.com, Erik.Huizer@sec.nl, ietf@ietf.org, poised@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: Re: IETF Y2K Compliance...
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 09:45:08 -0500

By the way....have you also studied this problem ?

The ICANN, ISOC, IETF, etc. are going to encourage that people's
NIC card addresses be encoded in each of the packets. In my
opinion, this is a potential violation of privacy. The NIC card address
is assigned by the manufacturer and can contain information that
not only singles a user out but also describes the kind of machine
they have. This is similar to the Pentium serial number issue.

http://www.privacy.org/bigbrotherinside/

Apparently the regional registries who make millions of dollars
selling IP addresses do not care about these issues. They appear
to be proceeding as shown here. They are blindly following the IETF.

@@@@ http://www.apnic.net/drafts/ipv6/ipv6-policy-280599.html#4.2

"Because all interface IDs are required to be in the EUI-64 format (as
specified in RFC 2373 and RFC 2374) the boundary between the network and
host portions is "hard" and ID address space cannot be further sub-divided."

I suggest that people become more aware of these issues.

Fortunately, IPv8 and IPv16 do not have this problem.