RE: [VPIM] GSM 6.10 is public domain; audio/wav needs registered

"Glenn Parsons" <gparsons@nortelnetworks.com> Thu, 16 November 2000 18:30 UTC

From: Glenn Parsons <gparsons@nortelnetworks.com>
To: vpim@lists.neystadt.org
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [VPIM] GSM 6.10 is public domain; audio/wav needs registered
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:21:02 -0600

FYI,

In the VPIM WG, for IVM we are interested in the MS-GSM codec.  It is
different enough from GSM 6.10 for Microsoft to hold a patent.

It is some sort of patent release statement (as well as an accurate
definition) from Microsoft on MG-GSM and WAVE (audio/wav) that we have been
waiting for.

Note that we have been waiting for a while and at the last meeting the
consensus was that G.711 (as in audio/basic) would be the alternative should
we decide that we have waited long enough.

Cheers,
Glenn.