RE: Gen-ART LC Review of draft-ietf-mptcp-api-05

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Mon, 13 August 2012 14:14 UTC

From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: ben@nostrum.com, draft-ietf-mptcp-api.all@tools.ietf.org
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 15:14:06 +0100
Subject: RE: Gen-ART LC Review of draft-ietf-mptcp-api-05
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Cc: gen-art@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org

Ben,
Thanks for your review.

The right status isn't clear-cut (I think), but when we (Chairs & Wes) discussed it, Info seemed best
* mainly because precedent seems to be that API docs are informational, for example socket API extensions for SCTP http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc6458/
* also the doc has two main parts - looking at the impact that MPTCP may have on application performance - and describing a basic API for MPTCP-aware applications. The first part seems clearly Informational. So if the API part is not Info, there is the effort of splitting the doc. Pragmatically I think this should only be done if clearly needed.

I'm afraid I don't know case history of how the IETF tries to extend non-IETF standards.

On the status of Posix reference, which appears twice in the doc
>> The abstract specification is in line with the
   Posix standard [17] as much as possible
>> One commonly used TCP socket option (TCP_NODELAY) disables the Nagle
   algorithm as described in [2].  This option is also specified in the
   Posix standard [17].

The guidance:
>> Normative references specify documents that must be read to understand or implement the technology in the new RFC, or whose technology must be present for the technology in the new RFC to work.

On its second appearance, I think [17] is definitely being used informatively.
The first appearance is less clear  cut, I think. Am inclined to say this is still informative - it's just explaining the style adopted for the abstract specification (if [17] changed then it wouldn't be necessary to change this doc).

Thanks also for the nits

Best wishes
phil