IAB report to the community for IETF 99

IAB Chair <iab-chair@iab.org> Sat, 15 July 2017 11:03 UTC

To: ietf-announce@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org
From: IAB Chair <iab-chair@iab.org>
Subject: IAB report to the community for IETF 99
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 13:03:34 +0200

Dear colleagues,

Continuing the tradition started by Andrew Sullivan, here is the IAB
report to the community about our activities.  We hope that this
information allows you to prepare topics you might want to discuss
during the upcoming open mic time.  Of course, if you have issues you
want to discuss by email, feel free to send your comments to
architecture-discuss@iab.org (our public discussion list) or iab@iab.org
(to reach just the IAB).

The IAB has a few chartered roles. We confirm the appointments to the
IESG and perform standards process oversight and handle appeals. We also
perform architectural oversight (including appointing the IRTF Chair),
we manage the RFC series and the IETF's relationship with IANA, and we
handle liaisons and appointments both to ISOC and to other
organizations. We try to ensure that anything we do is part of one of
these areas of responsibility, and we try to make sure these are all
covered.

Here's what we've been doing since our last report at IETF 98.  You can
find mention of each of these on the IAB pages
athttps://www.iab.org(where there's more background, too).

First, I’m happy to note that there were no appeals during this period.
  (Appeals and standards process oversight)

In late March, the IAB published a statement on the registration of
special use names in the ARPA domain
<https://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/2017-2/iab-statement-on-the-registration-of-special-use-names-in-the-arpa-domain/>.
  This comment focused on the distinction between creating an entry in
the Special Use Names registry and requesting a delegation within the
DNS, and it reminded the community that .arpa was an appropriate choice
for delegations that met the conditions in RFC 3172. (Architecture)

In early May, the IAB provided comments on ICANN’s draft IDN
implementation guidelines.
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/draft-idn-guidelines-03mar17-en.pdf> (Architecture)

In mid-May, the IAB formed a search committee to seek a successor for
Nevil Brownlee as Independent Series Editor, as documented in RFC 6548.
  The committee gathered suggestions and comments from the community and
will be conducting interviews at the Prague IETF. Additional comments
may be provided to the committee at ise-search18@iab.org. (RFC Series)

Also in mid-May, the IAB held its annual retreat, including some joint
time with the IESG.  Among the topics the IAB discussed was the upcoming
set of work on 5g.  Jari Arkko and Jeff Tantsura have written a blog
post on 5g
<https://www.ietf.org/blog/2017/06/5g-and-internet-technology/>that
captures some of the related topics.  The IAB is also a host of a lunch
meeting on Tuesday of this IETF, where 3GPP colleagues will be available
to discuss “3GPP & IETF collaboration on 5g”.  Interested folks should
join us in Congress Hall III or via the remote streams.  Another topic
from the retreat was a look back at RFC 4084, captured in a blog post on
the meaning of “Internet Access”
<https://www.ietf.org/blog/2017/06/what-does-internet-access-mean/>.  As
that post notes, we’d be happy for any comments on that topic to be sent
to architecture-discuss@iab.org
<mailto:architecture-discuss@iab.org>.(Architecture)

Later in May, the IAB sent a Liaison Statement to the Unicode technical
committee on the relationship of Unicode Technical Standard #39 to IETF
work
<https://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/2017-2/liaison-statement-from-the-iab-to-the-unicode-technical-committee/>.
  There have since been several informal meetings with Unicode leaders
on how to encourage increased cooperation between the two groups, and we
expect to continue to work toward that end over the next year. (Liaisons
and appointments)

During June, the IAB made three appointments to the Community
Coordination Group as required by RFC 8090.   Russ Housley and Barry
Leiba were appointed for two years and  Andrew Sullivan for one year.
  The IETF representatives then selected Russ as CCG Co-chair, and the
IAB confirmed him in that post.   We thank each of them for their
service. (Liaisons and appointments)

A bit later in June, the IAB reappointed Jim Reid to the ICANN Root Zone
Evolution Review Committee, the appointment being required by RFC 8128.
  We appreciate Jim’s willingness to serve again.  (Liaisons and
appointments).

During early July the RSOC program developed  a draft Statement of Work
for the RFC Series Editor, which will go out for public comment this
week.  Under the current timeline, the RSOC will make a recommendation
to the IAB in late September, with the RSE term to begin January 1, 2018
(RFC Series)

        DOCUMENTS

You can always find the documents the IAB has adopted and is working

on athttps://datatracker.ietf.org/stream/iab.

RFCs published since the last report are:

Coordinating Attack Response at Internet Scale (CARIS) Workshop Report
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8073>

Appointment Procedures for the IETF Representatives to the Community
Coordination Group (CCG) <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8090>

IETF Appointment Procedures for the ICANN Root Zone Evolution Review
Committee <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8128>

Digital Preservation Considerations for the RFC Series
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8153>

Planning for Protocol Adoption and Subsequent Transition
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8170>s

There are some workshop reports still in process:

draft-iab-iotsu-workshop-01

    Report from the Internet of Things (IoT) Software Update (IoTSU)

    Workshop 2016 (with the RFC Editor now)

draft-iab-marnew-report-00

    IAB Workshop on Managing Radio Networks in an Encrypted World

    (MaRNEW) Report (undergoing community review)

        PROGRAMS

The IAB organizes its work, for the most part, into programs.  There are
basically two classes: management programs and architectural programs.
  The former are how we handle the oversight of various things, and the
latter are where we do architectural work.  The former are expected to
last as long as the IAB continues to have that oversight function; the
latter last until the IAB has come to a conclusion on the relevant group
of topics or has decided that the topic needs to be reframed.  Programs
are listed at https://www.iab.org/activities/programs/.  As a general
rule, each architectural program has a public mailing list, as well as a
member-specific list.  For subscription instructions, see
https://www.iab.org/iab-mailing-lists/.

We review these programs periodically.  In the period since our last
report, the IAB made several personnel changes to recognize the change
in the composition of the IAB, as well as charter updates to the Stack
Evolution and  Privacy and Security programs.  The IAB also chose to
close down the Internationalization program.  This was not because of a
lack of focus on that topic; rather, the IAB felt the need to reframe
some of the issues related to Internationalization and identifiers in
Internet contexts.  For more on that, see the Workshop section below.

The Plenary Planning Program works to arrange a tech plenary topic for
each meeting that is currently topical, broadly interesting to the IETF
community as a whole, and for which we can engage interesting speakers.
When it can't have all three, the IAB does not schedule a tech plenary.
  Unfortunately, this time we didn't get to all three in time for
Prague, but the program is already working on an IETF 100 technical plenary.

        WORKSHOPS

In June, the IAB sent out a call for participation in a workshop on
Internet naming systems that explicitly called out their resolution
method or context
<%20https://www.iab.org/2017/06/22/call-for-participation-iab-workshop-on-explicit-internet-naming-systems>.
  We invite position papers on this topic to be submitted by July 28,
2017 to ename@iab.org. Decisions on accepted submissions will be made by
August 11, 2017.  The final logistics for the workshop will be announced
as soon as possible; some late information on conflicts mean that the
original date announced will likely change.

Respectfully submitted,

Ted Hardie

for the IAB