RE: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-softwire-dslite-deployment-06

"Black, David" <david.black@emc.com> Thu, 18 October 2012 01:12 UTC

From: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>
To: "Lee, Yiu" <Yiu_Lee@cable.comcast.com>, "roberta.maglione@telecomitalia.it" <roberta.maglione@telecomitalia.it>, "carlw@mcsr-labs.org" <carlw@mcsr-labs.org>, "christian.jacquenet@orange.com" <christian.jacquenet@orange.com>, "mohamed.boucadair@orange.com" <mohamed.boucadair@orange.com>, "gen-art@ietf.org" <gen-art@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:11:51 -0400
Subject: RE: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-softwire-dslite-deployment-06
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "softwires@ietf.org" <softwires@ietf.org>, "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>

Yiu,

Thank you for your responses - most of them look fine, and in
particular anything that I don't comment on here is acceptable to me.

> [YL] In 2.2, we will add:
>
> "Note that reassembly at Tunnel Exit-Point is resource
> 	intensive. A large number of B4 may terminate on the same AFTR. If many B4
> 	fragment the packets, it would increase sufficient load to the AFTR for
> 	reassembly. We recommend the operator should increase the MTU size of the IPv6
> 	network between B4 and AFTR to avoid fragmentation."

I would change "is" to "may be" in the first line.

> >[5] Section 2.8 discusses IPv4 accounting at the AFTR, but notes that
> >"the AFTR does not have detailed customer identity information."  Does
> >that create a theft of service possibility?  If so, that possibility
> >should be mentioned as a security consideration.  Also, Section 2.8
> >ought to be expanded with a sentence or two explaining why the AFTR
> >does not have that identity information, and in particular to explain
> >whether and why it is unreasonable in some or all cases to expect
> >that customer identity information be provided to the AFTR as part
> >of provisioning each customer's softwire.
>
> [YL] Good catch. Actually I believe AFTR "does" have both IPv4 and IPv6 to
> identify the customer. I suggest we remove
>
> "but it will potentially introduce some additional complexity because
>    the AFTR does not have detailed customer identity information."

That's definitely an easy way to address that issue, and it's fine with me.

> >Section 2.3 on MTU Considerations could usefully mention MTU discovery
> >techniques, as possibilities for customer IPv4 traffic to adapt to a
> >smaller IPv4 MTU.  If this is done, it would be useful to mention
> >RFC 4821 in addition to the mention of RFC 1191 in RFC 6333.
>
> [YL] We would consider RFC 4821. However, the challenge is I don't have
> information how many current OS support RFC 4821. Since DS-lite is a
> transition technology, it would be unreasonable to ask the OS company to
> implement RFC 4821 for DS-lite.

That's ok - this was a nit.

> >- Are one or both types of logging recommended?
>
> [YL] We tempted to recommend source-specific log. However, some regulators
> require to use both and the regulations vary country from country, this is
> why we left it open and let the operators to decide.

Please add a version of your explanation to the draft.

> >In Section 2.7, I'm having a hard time understanding which traffic is
> >intended to be subject to the Outgoing Policies and the Incoming Policies.
> >Expanding each of those two bullets to explain what traffic is subject
> >to each class of policies would help.
>
> [YL] Does this help?
>
> Outgoing Policies apply to packets originating from B4 to IPv4 network.
> Incoming Policies apply to packets originating from IPv4 network to B4.

Yes, that's clearer, although the B4 is not the network endpoint for any
of that traffic.  I suggest:

Outgoing Policies apply to packets originating from behind the B4 with
a destination on the IPv4 network.

Incoming Policies apply to packets originating from the IPv4 network to
a destination behind the B4.

Thanks,
--David