Re: The IESG Approved the Expansion of the AS Number Registry

David Conrad <drc@virtualized.org> Fri, 29 December 2006 20:20 UTC

From: David Conrad <drc@virtualized.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:19:43 -0800
To: "Tom.Petch" <sisyphus@dial.pipex.com>
Cc: idr@ietf.org, Henk Uijterwaal <henk@ripe.net>, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: The IESG Approved the Expansion of the AS Number Registry

[apologies for duplicates]

Hi,

If people want a representation for 32 bit AS numbers different than
that described in draft-michaelson-4byte-as-representation-02, they
should come to a consensus very, very soon and tell IANA about it.
32-bit ASNs have been discussed for several years now and (according
to the Michaelson draft), RIRs and some router vendors have already
adopted the "<16-bit>.<16-bit>" notation.  As such, and since the
RIRs are going to start allocating 32-bit ASNs starting Jan 1, 2007,
IANA chose to use that notation (to be clear, IANA doesn't really
have a strong opinion on what notation is used, but we do have a
strong opinion that one must be chosen).

Obviously, if we're going to change the notation, we should do so
_REAL SOON NOW_.

Rgds,
-drc