RE: Last Call: <draft-george-travel-faq-03.txt> (IETF meeting attendees Frequently Asked (travel) Questions) to Informational RFC

"Adrian Farrel" <afarrel@juniper.net> Thu, 09 February 2012 12:18 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <afarrel@juniper.net>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: RE: Last Call: <draft-george-travel-faq-03.txt> (IETF meeting attendees Frequently Asked (travel) Questions) to Informational RFC
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 12:18:07 -0000

I think that this sort of guidance to IETF local hosts may be helpful, and the
current document is fine for publication.

If the author has time to work on it, I would recommending severe pruning of the
preamble text. On the whole it gets in the way of the list of questions.

As has been pointed out, the list of things to consider can become endless. Up
for consideration are...

IMHO the question of visas is buried and not given enough detail. Of particular
importance to IETF travellers is the amount of time that they will require to
apply for a visa. Of course, this makes an n-squared information grid, and there
can be no substitute for pointers to embassy web pages. But we have examples of
there not being enough time between the announcement of the meeting location and
the meeting itself (viz. three months!)

National holidays have been known to impact IETF meetings and travel.

Add to 3.3.1 availability of social health services and air quality info.

Thanks,
Adrian