ATM + ROLC = ION (new working group)

"Andrew G. Malis" <malis@nexen.com> Tue, 21 May 1996 19:56 UTC

To: ion@nexen.com, ietf@nexen.com
cc: malis@nexen.com, swallow@cisco.com, kasten+iesg@ftp.com, jburgan@baynetworks.com, jhalpern@newbridge.com
Subject: ATM + ROLC = ION (new working group)
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 15:22:46 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Andrew G. Malis" <malis@nexen.com>

[Please send all replies to this message ONLY to ion@nexen.com.]

As you can see from the announcement below, the IP/ATM and ROLC
working groups are merging.

George Swallow of Cisco and I are the co-chairs for the combined
group, which is called Internetworking Over NBMA (ion), and is jointly
in the Internet and Routing areas.  Our intention for the merge is to
carry forward the existing work while preventing duplication of effort
between the two groups.  I've attached the working group charter to
this message; the charter should clarify any questions you may have.

the moment simply contains indirect pointers to the existing ip-atm
and rolc mailing lists.  To join this list, simply send a message
containing the word "subscribe" in the message body to
ion-request@nexen.com (we use majordomo for list management).

I would ask that those of you sending email to the existing ip-atm and
rolc lists please move your discussions to ion@nexen.com; it will
reach at the very least the people that have already been reading the
mail.  However, to prevent unnecessary mail duplication, I would ask
that at your convenience, those of you on the old lists please send
the following message body to majordomo@nexen.com:

subscribe ion
unsubscribe ip-atm
unsubscribe rolc

(if you were on only one of the lists, it will ignore the extra
unsubscribe line).

The old ip-atm and rolc lists will eventually be retired (warnings
will be sent beforehand).  Frankly, I am starting a new list rather
than directly merging the two old lists because of the large number of
obsolete addresses on the existing lists.

Please send replies to this message and comments on the charter to
the ion list only, please.

The working group has an FTP archive at ftp://ftp.nexen.com/pub/ion/,
and the Cell Relay Retreat at Indiana University has generously agreed
to provide a hypermail archive for the list's email, at
http://netlab.ucs.indiana.edu/hypermail/ion/ (thanks, Allen and
Chris!).

We won't rename any existing internet drafts, but as new versions come
out, we'll replace the "ipatm" or "rolc" in their names with "ion".

I have reserved four meeting slots in Montreal, to replace the usual
two each for ip-atm and rolc; however, I suspect we may not need all
four, depending on the agenda.  The slots are:

MONDAY, June 24, 1996
1300-1500  Afternoon Sessions I
1530-1730  Afternoon Sessions II

TUESDAY, June 25, 1996
1300-1500  Afternoon Sessions I
1530-1730  Afternoon Sessions II

Please send email to George and me if you have an internet draft you
will be bringing into the meeting and/or want time on the agenda.  The
secretariat would appreciate it if we could put together the agenda as
quickly as possible, so that any extra sessions can be returned to
them for other groups' use.  We're scheduled to be on the mbone, so
please in mind that presentations must be prepared in advance (and not
handwritten) so that they can be included in the mbone broadcast.
Having them available in advance will also allow me to put them up for
FTP for the convenience of people that can't make the meeting.

The charter is attached below.

Cheers,
Andy (and George)

You can reach us at:
Andrew G. Malis   Ascom Nexion                      voice: +1 508 266-4522
malis@nexen.com   289 Great Rd., Acton MA 01720 USA   FAX: +1 508 266-2300
George Swallow       Cisco Systems                   (508) 244-8143
swallow@cisco.com    250 Apollo Drive
                     Chelmsford, Ma 01824