Re: Ftp-WG: Comments on FTP Security Extensions draft

William Curtin <curtinw@ftm.disa.mil> Fri, 18 April 1997 23:35 UTC

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 17:24:19 -0500
From: William Curtin <curtinw@ftm.disa.mil>
To: cat-ietf@mit.edu, ftp-wg@hops.ag.utk.edu
Subject: Re: Ftp-WG: Comments on FTP Security Extensions draft

          I know that this document is out for last call so I hope my
          comments are not too late. I'm packing to leave for a week
          long meeting but wanted to get this out before I left.

          1. The new command defined for FTP in this document will
          need to be supported by the FEAT command (currently defined
          in draft-ietf-ftpext-mlst-00.txt). I guess given that this
          draft will progress to RFC status before the MLST draft that
          the definitions for these commands to a FEAT response will
          have to be done in the MLST or another document.

          Are there standard formats to define the security mechanisms
          associated with a AUTH command?

          2. Does the priori knowledge of a small set of commands
          (containing few characters) lend to breaking the algorithm
          associated with a security mechanism and thus possibly give
          a false sense of security? For example I can assume that FTP
          will be sending CWD over the control connection during the
          session.
          I recognize that anything is better than sending commands in
          the clear.

          3. Will these commands be mandatory for all clients and
          servers?

          4. I don't think the draft is clear on the use of CCC, MIC,
          CONF, and ENC commands. That is do I default to CCC even
          though I may have negotiated a level of confidentiality or
          are they automatically set?

          5. Reference to Section 9 on page 6 should be Section 10.

          6. The paragraph in the CCC command section starting "If
          unprotected commands are ..." seems out of place. This seems
          more of an introductory paragraph. I would suggest that the
          commands be broken into 3 sections:

          3.1 Security Identification and Negotiation
          3.2 Data Port Security
          3.3 Command Port Security.

          7. Are these two paragraphs from page 8 the same?

           "If the server has not completed a protection buffer size
          negotiation with the client, it should respond with a 503
          reply code."

           "The PROT command will be rejected and the server should
          reply 503 if no previous PBSZ command was issued."

                                bill