Re: IP network address assignments/allocations information?

Brian E Carpenter <brian@hursley.ibm.com> Mon, 29 November 1999 20:00 UTC

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 13:54:10 -0600
From: Brian E Carpenter <brian@hursley.ibm.com>
To: "Fleischman, Eric W" <Eric.Fleischman@PSS.Boeing.com>
CC: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>, Pete Loshin <pete@loshin.com>, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: IP network address assignments/allocations information?

Eric,

"Fleischman, Eric W" wrote:

> A few questions for the list:
> 1) If we effectively ran out of addresses when RFC 1597 was published, has running out of addresses hurt us in any way?

I believe so, as discussed in
 draft-carpenter-transparency-04.txt
 draft-ietf-iab-ntwlyrws-over-01.txt
 draft-iab-nat-implications-04.txt
 draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-01.txt
among others.

> 2) Originally we had anticipated using IPv6 to save us from IPv4 address depletion. What's the status of IPv6?

Pretty good, in terms of standards and preliminary code. Only just starting,
in terms of deployment.

> How does IPv6 traffic compare in volume with IPv4 traffic?

Negligible so far.

> Do non-IPv6-supporting vendors (e.g., Microsoft) have plans to eventually support IPv6?

Ask them.

> 3) Given the current situation of corporations using private addresses internally and a smaller set of global IPv4 addresses on their periphery, and a global IPv4 internet, one should theoretically be able to say how many public IPv4 addresses have been assigned and therefore how many remain unassigned and by so doing estimate how long until consumption. Why is this not possible in practice?

It's entirely possible, but the answer depends on which curve you choose to fit
to the data. That's why the answers given at the July IAB workshop ranged from
2 to 20 years. But whatever the answer is, it obscures the real problems
described in the above documents.

   Brian