Question for the IETF... How are people supposed to verify the IETF's assumptions?

"todd glassey" <tglassey@earthlink.net> Fri, 21 December 2007 19:45 UTC

From: todd glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, chair@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:37:29 -0800
Cc: Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org>, IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>, iesg@ietf.org
Subject: Question for the IETF... How are people supposed to verify the IETF's assumptions?

Since Harald has already threatened  me with suspension for offtopic
postings in regard to these matters in the IPR-WG, the only other place I
can post this is to the IETF at IETF dot ORG list...

---

Question... The question simply is that IETF's "IP Reliance Processes"
clearly state "that it is the responsibility of the relying party to verify
the IPR issues pertaining to any use of an IETF-IP or 'Work Product' from
any IETF Vetting Effort". That also clearly includes any and all
participation in the IETF itself including that of the WG and Meeting under
the Note-Well IP conveyance rules as part of that "Work Product"...  So let
me ask - how is that supposed to happen? How is diligence supposed to happen
here?

This is a VERY important question since the current language makes it the
responsibility of the relying parties to also protect themselves from any
and all liabilities with regard to participating in the IETF and without a
formal release from all the other parties in a WG there seems to be an issue
here.

Any thoughts (other than trying to stop me from asking these types of
questions?)

Todd Glassey