Re: Proposed Group: CoVid-19 Remote Meet, Work, Class Community Group

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Tue, 10 March 2020 19:03 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 20:03:25 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Cc: 'Joseph Potvin' <jpotvin@xalgorithms.org>, manycouches@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Proposed Group: CoVid-19 Remote Meet, Work, Class Community Group

[Bcc'ing IETF. Folks, lets move these virtual conferencing technical dicussions off IETF mailing list]

BCP: Dare to try, experiment, refine, do not give up, succeed.

Aka: Even if you didn't have to change/improve tooling but you already
picked the best ones available for your situation, the participants will still
need a lot of time to adopt the new technologies, especially in my
experience how older they get and the less use of those technologies
they had in before. I got scolded for that remark in PM yesterday,
but i stand by it, especially when i am getting older myself, its not
disdain, its IMHO just human nature.

In 1992 i got funding for the university computing centers chief executives
in Bavaria to use video-conferencing (mbone tools of course back then).
For the first half a year those executives where complaining and hating
it and required some hand-holding. After that half a year they eliminated a lot
of in-person travel and actually started to love the beast. (sorry,
if my stories are also old).

All the available competitors to the webex option we know from IETF
are probbly mostly comparable. There may be specific detail features
that make one better than the other, but you'll only figure this out
through experimentation yourself or hopefully asking for more specific
feature experience from othres, like on manycouches.

For mostly unidirectional communications like what we really do with
meetecho, the list of options is even larger, and i have no good
overview.

Cheers
    Toerless

--