Re: IETF Nominee for ICANN Protocol Supporting Organization selection

John C Klensin <klensin@jck.com> Wed, 11 July 2001 14:40 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:38:56 -0400
From: John C Klensin <klensin@jck.com>
Subject: Re: IETF Nominee for ICANN Protocol Supporting Organization selection
To: "Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim" <rms46@VLSM.ORG>
Cc: IETF <ietf@ietf.org>

--On Wednesday, 11 July, 2001 09:59 +0700 "Rahmat M.
Samik-Ibrahim" <rms46@vlsm.org> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I believe that this is the way to go, although
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-poisson-pso-appo
> intments-00.txt suggests a different way.

Of course it does.   Please read the second paragraph of the
announcement which you kindly repeated (and which is enclosed
below for convenience): the IAB made a proposal, Poisson did not
converge on consensus about it and others who were consulted
didn't reach consensus either.  So the alternatives were for the
IAB to make a decision or for us to forfeit our right to make a
nomination of this sort.   The IAB chose the former, and
nominated the incumbent, who is widely respected, experienced in
Internet issues, and widely perceived of as doing a good job.

In terms of our long-term strategy for filling this type of
position, we assume that discussion, in Poisson and, as
appropriate, elsewhere, will continue.

Did you have a question here?

    john