Re: Document Action: 'US Secure Hash Algorithms (SHA and HMAC-SHA)' to Informational RFC

Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> Mon, 06 February 2006 23:12 UTC

From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 00:11:33 +0100
Subject: Re: Document Action: 'US Secure Hash Algorithms (SHA and HMAC-SHA)' to Informational RFC
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org> writes:

> Note to the RFC Editor
>
>   To resolve the concerns with the term "open source", please make the
>   following changes:
>
>   In the Abstract:
>
>     OLD:
>
>       The purpose of this document is to make open source code
>       performing these hash functions conveniently available to
>       the Internet community.
>
>     NEW:
>
>       The purpose of this document is to make source code
>       performing these hash functions conveniently available to
>       the Internet community.
>
>   In Section 10:
>
>     OLD:
>
>       This document is intended to provide convenient open source
>       access by the Internet community to the United States of
>       America Federal Information Processing Standard Secure Hash
>       Algorithms (SHAs) [FIPS 180-2] and HMACs based thereon.
>
>     NEW:
>
>       This document provides the Internet community convenient
>       access to source code that implements the United States of
>       America Federal Information Processing Standard Secure Hash
>       Algorithms (SHAs) [FIPS 180-2] and HMACs based upon these
>       one-way hash functions.  See license in Section 1.1.

The license in section 1.1 reads:

   Royalty free license to copy and use this software is granted
   provided that this document is identified in all material
   mentioning or referencing this software.

I believe this part of the license is incompatible with some licenses
used to implement IETF protocols.  It has the same problem as the
advertisement clause in the old BSD license.  It is thus questionable
whether the document achieve its stated goal.

Btw:

> The IESG has approved the following document:
>
> - 'US Secure Hash Algorithms (SHA and HMAC-SHA) '
>    <draft-eastlake-sha2-02.txt> as an Informational RFC
>
> This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
> IETF Working Group.

Was there a last call for this document?  I do not recall seeing it.

Thanks,
Simon