RE: Dan Bernstein's issues about namedroppers list operation

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com> Thu, 16 January 2003 22:33 UTC

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com>
To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>
Cc: djb@cr.yp.to, ietf@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: Dan Bernstein's issues about namedroppers list operation
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:22:40 -0800
Sender: owner-ietf@ietf.org

There is a proposal to start an IRTF research group on the topic of
SPAM. Perhaps one of the things that could be looked at is how mailing
lists could apply spam defenses and still maintain open-ness.

Many of the problems with spam are now the second order effects of
dropped messages that should have been forwarded.

By default SpamAssasin is configured to consult a blacklist that is
currently blocking all UUNET addresses because the maintainer does not
like something that a UUNET subscriber is publishing on their site. I
conclude that blacklists of that type will not last long as the Internet
starts to re-route arround the censorship damage.

That said, there is an old proverb in politics about what you should do
when you become the story. I think the issues that concern the group
members here are more than just the alleged filtering of Bernstein's
posts.

		Phill