Re: Why More TLDs

martin hamilton <M.T.Hamilton@lboro.ac.uk> Mon, 11 November 1996 14:54 UTC

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:51:20 +0000
Sender: ietf-request@ietf.org
From: martin hamilton <M.T.Hamilton@lboro.ac.uk>
To: ietf@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: Re: Why More TLDs
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Dave Crocker wrote:

> At 8:32 PM -0800 11/10/96, Paul A Vixie wrote:
> >Right now we use domain names, since they are universally unique, and they
> >are permanent.  They are not, however, guessable.
>
> 	to emphasize for thos who may miss this point:  guessability is the
> core characteristic of a 'directory' versus the completely deterministic
> behaviors of a mapping service like the dns.  The difference between
> FINDING a name (and associated information) based on various criteria,
> possibly including the name,  versus USING the name to find only and
> exactly the information associated with it is technically quite different
> tasks.

If anyone is interested in doing a little bit of practical experimentation
on the FINDING front, I'd like to volunteer a mailing list over here which
has been created for this purpose.  Mail "deploy-request@mrrl.lut.ac.uk",
with the word "subscribe" on its own in the message body, if you want to
participate.

Recommended reading...  RFCs 1714, 1777, 1798, 1835, 1913 and 1914, plus
draft-klensin-tld-whois-00.txt, and draft-ietf-find-new-cip-00.txt

Cheerio,

Martin