Re: WG Review: General Area Dispatch (gendispatch)

Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Thu, 10 October 2019 18:13 UTC

Subject: Re: WG Review: General Area Dispatch (gendispatch)
From: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 20:13:17 +0200
Cc: IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>

Hi John,

Top-posting because I would like to make a meta comment on the text you wrote below. You seem to base our statements on an assumption that, excessively formulated,  IESG members in general act in bad faith and are mostly driven by the selfish interest of retaining their power. To be honest I’m not entirely sure which power you exactly talk about but in my case I’m more than happy to release any power I may or may not have in March after spending large portions of my time and work power on my AD tasks the last 3.5 years and simply have time to use my energy for something else again.

Still it makes me sad to see that members of the community make these kind of very general, negative assumptions about a rather diverse group of others members of our community that have been (re-)selected by the community because, as I thought, the community trusts them to fill the respective position appropriately and act in a good faith.

I'm pretty sure I also have been “delaying” things during my AD terms, either because I actually really just didn’t have time or because I wasn’t able to figure out if there is community interest or consensus in doing the work. I never took any action with the goal to "prevent the IETF from evolving and making progress”. And, call me naive, but I don’t even understand why I should have an interest in doing so.

Again, I’m just writing this email because reading you mail below does makes me sad and I’m also afraid that this kind of views about then IESG could actually stop other members of the our community to volunteer for a position on the IESG in future.

Mirja