please note: "Variance Request" is about software patents

Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu> Sat, 16 December 1995 20:44 UTC

To: ietf@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: please note: "Variance Request" is about software patents
cc: moore@cs.utk.edu
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 15:37:16 -0500

> The IESG has received a request to consider publication of Variance
> Request for The PPP Connection Control Protocol and The PPP Encryption
> Control Protocol <draft-kastenholz-ppp-variance-00.txt> as a Best
> Current Practice RFC.

Just in case you didn't read this one because it showed up in
a flurry of other interent-drafts, or because it seemed to be
specific to PPP, please note...

The issue behind this variance request has to do with whether
(and under what conditions) we can standardize protocols that
allegedly infringe on someone's patent.

So if you care about this issue, you might want to read the
Internet-Draft after all, and send comments to the IESG (or
this list) about it.

The internet-draft is at
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-kastenholz-ppp-variance-00.txt

IESG's mail address is iesg@cnri.reston.va.us

Keith Moore

p.s. My personal opinion is that it is inappropriate for IETF
to standardize any technology that cannot be implemented and
distributed free of charge.  This would exclude patented technology,
unless the patent holder agrees to license free implementations
at no cost.