Re: [IETF] Re: NOMCOM - Critical shortage of nominees for multiple areas

Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com> Thu, 24 October 2013 18:17 UTC

To: nomcom13@ietf.org, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IETF] Re: NOMCOM - Critical shortage of nominees for multiple areas
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 14:16:53 -0400
From: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>

Going back to something said earlier. While I understand that it may
be good for the nomcom/ietf to develop a list of alternate candidates
even if the incumbent is strong, just for backup, etc., there is a
flip side as well.

Applying takes time. The survey isn't exactly short, and going through
the motions to get internal support can also take time. And for
someone who has applied and is waiting the results, they may find
themselves in an awkward position w.r.t. planning future work
activities (will they have time to take on new activities or will the
nomcom select them?).

All this uses resources that arguably could be spent more
productively, e.g., doing WG work.

I think it's fine to say no to the nomcom and say something like
"incumbent is doing a great job and nomcom should not waste folks'
time beating the bushes to build up a list when there is no compelling
reason not to just quickly reup the incumbent.

If the nomcom wants to build up a list of future potential nominees,
we might want to think about how to do that in ways other than
nominating them for the *current* cycle. E.g., approaching them about
applying next year, and (gasp!) maybe even mentoring them a bit...

Thomas