re: ID action

P.V.McMahon@rea0803.wins.icl.co.uk Tue, 02 March 1993 20:30 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1993 20:10:58 +0000
X400-Originator: P.V.McMahon@rea0803.wins.icl.co.uk
X400-Recipients: cat-ietf@mit.edu
X400-Mts-Identifier: [/PRMD=icl/ADMD=gold 400/C=GB/;rea0803 0000016300004918]
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: P.V.McMahon@rea0803.wins.icl.co.uk
To: a <"/DD.rfc822=wray(a)ultra.enet.dec.com/S=gateway/"@bra0121.wins.icl.co.uk>
Cc: cat-ietf@mit.edu, a <"/DD.rfc822=jlinn(a)mcimail.com/S=gateway/"@bra0121.wins.icl.co.uk>
Subject: re: ID action

         To: John Wray
         cc: John Linn, CAT-WG

         Dear John,

         Regarding "ID ACTION:draft-ietf-cat-genericsec-04.txt" posted
         12:01 to IETF-Announce today:

         Could I trouble you with a few quick questions?

         -    Does draft-ietf-cat-genericsec-04.txt really supersede both
              the previous language bindings and the language independent
              version?

              If this is definitely intentional, then why? If it's a
              question of the overheads of maintaining two documents then I
              would be quite willing to volunteer to maintain the generic
              version.

              BTW, forgive me asking this question if such a change was
              discussed and agreed at the last IETF - but I couldn't be
              present for the CAT WG meeting and so would have missed any
              discussion.

         -    Isn't it a little confusing for the document reference (for
              the C bindings) to change from "secservice" to "genericsec"
              and jump 2 version numbers?

              I would have expected this document to be issued as draft-
              ietf-cat-secservice-02.txt.

              Why was it not done like this?

         -    Clearly there is much in draft-ietf-cat-genericsec-03.ps/.txt
              which is not in draft-ietf-cat-genericsec-04.txt.

              Will the tutorial material be added back in later versions?
              (Wasn't it requested as part of the document review?)

              When is the ASN.1 format for the initial context
              establishment token to be included again?

         -    With respect to the differences between dratf-ietf-cat-
              secservice-01.txt and draft-etf-cat-genericsec-04.txt:
              broadly speaking, what has changed?

              A brief glance indicates:

              - In the support calls, internal format replaces API
                format.

              - clarification of gss_cred_id_t to (presumably) allow for
                treating this type as DCE login context pointers
                or similar

              - other minor adjustments to reflect implementation
                (e.g. constants' values adjusted)

              - change to [GSSAPI] to be referenced by its ID
                identity

              Is this all that you think has significantly changed?

         Perhaps it might be useful to discuss some of the above points at
         the next IETF?

         Regards,

         Piers

         Piers McMahon                                   02MAR93
         Open Distributed Processing, ICL
         post:  Kings House, 33 Kings Road, Reading, RG1 3PX, UK
         email: p.v.mcmahon@rea0803.wins.icl.co.uk
           OR   p.mcmahon@xopen.co.uk
         phone: +44 734 586211 extension 3285
         fax:   +44 734 855106