Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology-03.txt> (DNS Terminology) to Best Current Practice

"Paul Hoffman" <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org> Wed, 05 August 2015 18:47 UTC

From: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology-03.txt> (DNS Terminology) to Best Current Practice
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 11:47:24 -0700
Cc: ietf@ietf.org

On 3 Aug 2015, at 14:08, John C Klensin wrote:

> (1) _Status observation_:

Sure, we can go to Informational for this document. Our intention for
the -bis RFC is to actually update the RFCs with definitions that we are
changing, so that should be a BCP. Off-list, the authors agreed with
your logic, so the next draft will say "Informational".

> (2) _Usability: Finding terms_
>
> Because this document is long and organized by categories that
> might not be obvious to the reader, it would benefit
> significantly from an alphabetical index of terms defined and
> either numbering those terms (with the term number in the
> index) or at least using the index to localize terms to the
> sections in which they appear.  Without such an index or
> similar organizational mechanism, I fear the document will be
> nearly useless as a reference and that few people will read it
> from beginning to end to determine which terms to use and
> remember all of the definitions.  Documents like this are, at
> least IMO, much more often used to find out what a term means
> or determine whether it is being used appropriately; either of
> those uses would strongly benefit from an index.

What you say is true only for the few people reading printed-out copies
of the RFC. These days, most people read RFCs on their computers. People
who are looking for a particular term can quickly skim the left column
or use the search function of their favorite text editor, web browser,
or PDF reader. (For historical reference, John and I disagreed about
this when he and I co-authored RFC 6365.) Once we have the new RFC
format and HTML representations of RFCs, indexes will become much more
useful.

> (3) _Procedural Observation_
>
> For the terminology itself, I have not been following the
> progress of this document in DNSOP so, if specific issues raised
> below have been thoroughly discussed there and I don't raise new
> issues about them, I'm happy to see things go ahead on the basis
> of the WG's decisions.  However, note that, if any assertion of
> prior discussions defies belief, I may ask for a pointer to
> specific discussions in mailing list archives or meeting
> minutes.  Many of the remarks below are quibbles but, IMO,
> terminology documents are one of the places where we really
> should quibble enough to get things right, lest they add to the
> confusion, rather than reducing it.

The WG quibbled quite extensively on this document, and there are many
places where there is not wide agreement.

> (4) _The dot-foo problem (and a missing definition for
> "dotless")_
>
> Meta-definition: Despite the popularity of its usage, I believe
> this document should not encourage the use of ".foo" to refer
> to the "foo" TLD (as the document points out, if "foo" is an
> FQDN, it is more properly written "foo.").  If we encourage
> "dot-foo" (or ".foo"), at least without a lot more explanation,
> we are only a step from "dot-label1.label2" (or to be precise
> and difficult ".label1.label2." where "label1.label2." is the
> name of any node that contains either delegation records or
> non-delegated subdomains).  While its focus was somewhat
> different and it never got any attention in DNSOP or elsewhere,
> the expired
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-klensin-dotless-terminology-harmful/
> discusses another aspect of this problem.  One of its
> implications for the present I-D is that, if organizations like
> the IAB are going to use the term "dotless domain" as if it
> meant something, "dotless" or "dotless domain" should appear in
> the present I-D, even if to denounce its use.

No one in the WG expressed any concern about using ".foo" to describe
the "foo" TLD. The term "dotless" does not appear in this document, and
no one has asked for it, so it would be impossible to predict if adding
it would include a denunciation. You may be one of the very few people
who associate the common use of ".foo" with the term "dotless domain".

> "Host Name" and "Domain Name": It is probably worth noting that
> not only is "host name" sometimes used to denote the first
> label in an FQDN (as the document indicates) but that many
> vendors have established a practice of setting up, e.g.,
> configuration tables or options that distinguish between "host
> name" with that definition and "domain" as the rest of the FQDN
> with that label excluded.  Guilty parties include Windows (at
> least through version 8.1), FreeBSD, Cisco (at least some
> products), a few ICANN-accredited registrars, and probably many
> more, so this cannot be dismissed as a fringe issue.

Saying that "some vendors" do something like that does not seem valuable
to this document since it does not further the definition already in the
document. "Some vendors" do lots of good/bad/weird things. This document
is meant as a terminology list, not a full description of the deployed
DNS. (John will understand why I said that last bit; he and I were faced
with the same issues when we were doing RFC 6365. If you think DNS
deployment is inconsistent, wander over to i18n world sometime...)

> "Label": Binding "label" to "node" is a fine plan, but leaves
> the fairly frequent practice of using a string with a dot
> embedded in it as the owner of a node.  That is a practice that
> makes the first substring of the label indistinguishable
> lexically from a [delegated] subdomain (see below) of the
> second substring.  This obviously interacts with the meaning of
> the term "subdomain".  That term is used a few times in the
> document but not defined.  At least because of this issue with
> labels and the related question of whether a "subdomain" exists
> only with a zone break, it seems imperative to me to define and
> discuss it... or to discourage its use and otherwise get it out
> of the document.

I'm unclear on what you mean by "as the owner of a node".

Good catch on the lack of definition of "subdomain", which is used twice
in quoting other RFCs and once bare. Proposal:

    Subdomain: a label or group of contiguous labels that are a child of
given domain.
    For example, in the host name "nnn.mmm.example.com", both "mmm" and
"nnn.mmm" are
    subdomains of "example.com".

> "Host Name" (again): Another popular definition of this term
> associates it only with domain names that actually identify
> hosts, i.e., it is the owner of a node that contains address
> records and not only, e.g., delegation records, service
> indicator records (MX, SRV, NAPTR, URI, etc.) or aliases (CNAME
> or DNAME records).   It would be consistent with the rest of the
> I-D to mention that usage, even if only to discourage it.

I'm not seeing that in any RFCs, but I could be missing it. If you can
send one example of that usage, it could certainly be added as a
now-discouraged practice.

> "IDN": I think it would be wise to be careful about two things
> in this definition.  Because of them, it is probably not right.
>
> First, while IDNA2008 is quite specific about referring to
> labels, "IDN" has been popularly used in at least three
> other (and inconsistent) ways: (i) to describe FQDNs with at
> least one label that requires IDNA handling; (ii) for FQDNs
> and/or labels containing non-ASCII characters (including
> domain names that use UTF-8 or ISO 8859-x (typically 8859-1)
> directly in the DNS; (iii) and only those FQDNs all of whose
> labels (other than the root indicator) contain
> representations of non-ASCII characters.  Note that RFC 6055
> claims to be about "Internationalized Domain Names" and,
> among other things, discusses the second case.  I recommend
> the document explore those alternate meanings and then
> deprecate the use of "IDNs" in protocol-like discussions of
> the DNS (or elsewhere where precision is required) and
> focus on, e.g., "IDNA labels" or "IDNA2008 labels".

Given that RFC 6055 did indeed mix those definitions together, it might
be better to simply refer to it for more description and leave the
current cleaner definition alone.

> Second, there is the matter of whether a putative label that
> contains characters that must be processed into an A-label
> or U-label for use with the DNS is reasonably referred to as
> an "IDN" or "IDN label" (a subject on which UTR 46 and
> various web-oriented documents contribute to the confusion).
> I believe this document needs to identify and discuss those
> distinctions, not just treat "IDN" as s synonym for
> something IDNA-ish.

I doubt that this document needs to talk about what is and is not a
"putative label", given that this is not a term at all common. The
documents that are referred to in this document do that.

> While it is not (at least IMO) a
> sufficient solution for any of those issues, it would be
> reasonable to include an informative reference to RFC 6365
> in that definition for additional information.

Sure.

> "Alias": See the discussion of "subdomain" under "label" above.
> Partially as a result, I don't know what this definition means.
> I also suggest that ordinary and common usage of the term
> "alias" means that the (fully-qualified) owner of a DNAME
> record is an alias as well, and that "subdomains of the owner"
> may additionally be aliases.

This is a definition quoted from a standards-track RFC. If it is wrong
or misleading, it would be good fodder for the -bis of this document or
as an update to that RFC.

> "Canonical name": the first sentence of this definition is
> circular and "canonical name" is not actually defined.

And yet that is the definition directly from STD 13.

> I've
> heard uses of "canonical name" to refer to fully-qualified
> targets of fully-qualified owners of DNAMEs as well.  If the WG
> doesn't like that usage, it would be appropriate to say
> something.  I've never liked it, and RFC 5321 deliberately
> avoids it, but I've also heard "canonical name" used to describe
> the domain that appears in the RDATA of MX RRs. "Canonical
> form", and sometimes "canonical name" have also been popular in
> some communities to refer to the A-label or U-label form of an
> IDN label (sic) after alias/ mapping processive via RFC 5895,
> UTR 46, or other specifications.  It may be that we should start
> moving away from the term in the context defined in the I-D and
> start using "alias target" or something to that effect.
>
> "Public suffix": the discussion of the "UK." (and, by the way,
> "US.") zone would be clearer and the source of controversy more
> obvious if the I-D explicitly pointed out that policy changes
> have resulted in _both_, e.g., "ac.uk." and "uk." (and
> "NH.US".  and "US.")  meeting the criteria for public
> suffixes at the same time.

Because of that confusion, we have changed the example from ".uk" to
".au" for the next draft.

> _Section 3_
>
> Nit about apparently-missing definite articles: in the first
> sentence, s/is first 12/is the first 12/ (or rewrite to use a
> word like "comprise").  Similarly, the first sentence of the
> next paragraph.  See also "...fields in the RDATA an SOA
> resource..." later in the document, where the omission actually
> makes the sentence hard to understand.

Good catches. Will fix.

> "Referrals": "zone cut" is used here in a way that is critical
> to the explanation but defined only in Section 6.  A
> cross-reference or forward pointer would be in order.

Yep.

> _Section 4_
>
> "RRset": This definition is consistent with the usage in
> DNNSEC, i.e, that resources records with the same owner and
> class but different types are not part of the same RRset.  That
> is fine, but I've seen it used to encompass all of the records
> that might be returned in response to a query for a particular
> owner node with QTYPE=ANY, so, consistent with other sections
> of the I-D, that other case should probably be mentioned (and,
> obviously, deprecated).

Can you point to an RFC or draft (even an antique one) that uses it in
that sense? If not, we should probably leave it out, given that it is
clearly wrong. If so, we should add it in the "deprecated usage"
category.

> Is there an approved term for the
> collection of resource records with the same owner and, if so,
> where is it in this document?  This definition would be much
> stronger if it could say "This is an RRset; those other
> categories of things that are its supersets are called X and
> Y."

None that I know of, but others should chime in here if they do. If it
exists, it would be a good term to include.

> "Owner" and "SOA Field Names": One reason why "Owner name" (see
> "Owner" paragraph) is often used is that the RNAME has been
> referred to as "Owner" in dozens of documents and probably
> uncountable numbers of  comments in zone files.  "Responsible
> party" is also used, e.g., in RFC 1034.  It might be useful to
> explicitly note that the I-D prefers the names given to pieces
> of field formats in RFC 1035, just it elsewhere appears to
> prefer names used in association with query responses rather
> than those that describe the fields themselves (see comments
> early in this review about status and audience).

Yep, good addition.

> "TTL": Errata, even "IESG approved" errata, don't change
> standards-track documents at least unless the errors are
> glaringly evident typographical errors (but still confusing
> enough to justify errata).  Section 8 of RFC 2181 is extremely
> clear about this and does update 1035, so it would be more
> appropriate to replace "it is fixed in an erratum" with
> something like "this is clarified in RFC 2181" or, "consistent
> with an erratum, this is clarified in RFC 2181".  Given that
> change and for editorial reasons, it would be better to
> consolidate the two consecutive parenthetical remarks or to
> incorporate the second one into the text.  See also comments
> above about the tutorial, rather that terminology, nature of
> much of this subsection, especially the next-to-last paragraph
> ("The reason that...").

Sure. (Without agreeing with you about erratum never being able to
change standards track documents; that discussion is for the IESG / IAB
/ RFC Editor, not us.)

> "Class independent": While this definition seems ok to me, at
> least given my limited knowledge, recent discussions on the IETF
> list and elsewhere have been very negative about the actual
> usability of CLASSes, at least on the public Internet. There
> seem to multiple issues, of which one example is associated with
> what a zone (or at least a master file) that contains records
> from more than one CLASS means and how it is accessed and
> another is associated with CLASS independence - a rather
> sweeping claim for any RRTYPE that is not associated with the
> structure of the DNS itself because it seriously constrains
> later behavior and decisions.  Given those issues and especially
> given some of the tutorial material elsewhere in this document,
> it seems strange and possibly inappropriate to define Class
> independence this way and to do so without any further
> explanation.

Why? The recent discussions on the IETF list would be less confusing if
people read the definition in this draft.

> See the discussion of "Priming" and other terms
> below for additional examples of the dimensions of this rat
> hole. Recommendation: unless the authors and WG have the energy
> to discuss CLASSes in detail, drop this definition and put a
> sentence or two into the introductory material that indicates
> that CLASS use and terminology raise additional issues and are
> deferred to other documents.  That gets them out of the
> immediate critical path and, should the WG decide to deprecate
> them, saves a lot of energy getting the terminology right.

The fact that some people don't notice that some RTYPEs are not class
independent does not lead to us not defining it.

> _Section 5_
>
> "Full resolver": if the intent is to deprecate the use of this
> term because no one knows what it means and other, adequate,
> terminology exists, that should be explicit.  Otherwise, this
> section should either define what the term means or drop it:
> the history of the term is, by itself, really not helpful or
> consistent with the apparent scope of the document or "BCP"
> assertions.

Disagree. It appears in an STD document without definition, and there
was no later agreement on a definition. That fact is worth bringing up
so no one thinks that they know what the STD means.

> "Priming": Does the I-D want/need to mention CLASS here?  If a
> resolver "performs queries for a name, type, and class" (see
> "Resolver" definition), then this description of priming,
> especially its relationship to _the_ (emphasis added) DNS root
> zone, is not adequate.  Also see note on "Root zone" below.

The term "priming" applies to any class, so the current definition is
fine as-is. There really isn't a good reason to bring up "but there
might be other classes" in every definition that commonly is talking
about IN.

> "Secondary server" and "Primary server": Consistent with the
> general documentation approach in this I-D, it may be worth
> mentioning that "primary", "secondary", and "master" all appear
> in RFC 1034.  For better or worse, "slave" does not.

Sure.

> I was surprised to not see "lame delegation" or "split horizon"
> in this section, the latter possibly as part of "View".

No one in the WG asked for them. If we are going to add them now, we
would need to get WG consensus on the wording, which could be
problematic in both cases.

> _Section 6_
>
> "Zone": See the comments about CLASS above.  As a terminology
> document, this should be clear about whether "Zone with records
> associated with different CLASSes" is even meaningful and, if
> so, what it means.  Note that the old issue of the meaning of
> QCLASS=ANY interacts with that question.  A different way to
> state the issue is as a question: If a master file for a zone (a
> term used, with small variations, several times in RFC 1034 but
> not mentioned in this I-D) contains records that include several
> different CLASSes, are those records all part of the same zone
> or do they define different zones (noting that different
> comments in RFC 1034/1035 can be read to give different
> answers)?  If the I-D is going to touch CLASSes, I don't see how
> to avoid these issues.

I do. You are asking for definitions for things that have not been
defined before. If the RFCs are not clear on whether or not a master
file can have X, it is better to update those RFCs, not make up a new
term with a definition that is clearer.

> "Child" and "Parent": With all respect to RFC 7344, the
> sentence quoted under "Child" is unlikely to be comprehensible
> to anyone who doesn't already know what the term means.  The
> one in "Parent" isn't much better and is almost circular.  Note
> that "parent zone" and "children zones" (sic) are described and
> used in RFC 1034 and the usage there seems more clear than
> these definitions.  Also note that 1034 uses "subzone" which is
> also used in this document but, like, "subdomain" is not
> defined in the I-D.  Because, as hinted above, the question of
> whether "subdomain" is actually a synonym of "subzone" can be
> important, defining the terms and making any important
> distinctions also seems important.  Also see "Empty
> non-terminals" below.

The WG discussed these definitions and came to this. If you have
specific better definitions, but all means suggest them and we can see
if the WG likes them better.

> "Origin" and elsewhere, particularly "Apex": The document needs
> to clarify that terms like "top" and "apex" are related to the
> hierarchical structure of the DNS, not other ways in which DNS
> information can be organized (e.g., master files or DNSSEC
> canonizalization).  If the document is to be used normatively,
> i.e., describes Best Current Practice, it isn't acceptable to
> say 'These days, this sense of "origin" and "apex" (defined
> below) are often used interchangeably' without making a
> recommendation as to whether that is a good idea.

We agreed above that this doc is no longer BCP. When we do the -bis as
BCP, it would be good to hear your guidelines for what a BCP definitions
document must say for definitions like this. [tag1]

> "Apex": If "top" is really a synonym, that should be said here.
> If not, "top" should be deprecated or identified as historical,
> informal, and/or non-preferred terminology.  Note that the
> definition of "Authoritative data" uses "top node" (from
> 1034).

"Top" is not a synonym for "apex", but "top node of the zone" is. That's
what the draft says.

> "Glue": The last sentence of this subsection strongly implies
> that the terminology introduced in RFC 2181 is not preferred
> for general use.  If that is the intent, please be explicit
> about it; otherwise this document specifies two inconsistent
> definitions for the same term.  I believe that latter is
> inconsistent with publication as a BCP.

See [tag1] above.

> "In-bailiwick": I have to admit this term (and its opposite)
> are new to me.  I haven't figured out from the definition why
> adding it adds clarity rather than more confusion.  See the
> comments above about two, inconsistent, definitions and
> publication as a BCP, unless the "best" current practice is
> inconsistent usage.

See [tag1] above.

> "Authoritative data": If this is as ambiguous as the definition
> / statement suggests, is the Best Current Practice to not use
> the term?  If so, say so.  If not, say why and where its use
> should be considered acceptable.

See [tag1] above.

> "Empty non-terminals": this definition strongly suggests that
> "subdomain" is a property of owner name structure and not of
> zone relationships.  If that is the intent, it is _really_
> important to define and clarify "subdomain".

Yep; see the proposed definition above.

> "Occluded name": I don't think "in a limbo" is helpful as part
> of this definition.  The nodes are just hidden and inaccessible
> for resolution (i.e., inaccessible except as part of zone
> transfers or to the authoritative servers themselves) until and
> unless the occluding RRs are removed.  Perhaps "in purgatory" (a
> state that might be easier to escape if enough virtuous acts
> occur with respect to the zone), but I really can't recommend
> going there.

We would prefer to quote standards track documents directly here.

> "Fast flux DNS": Is "domain is bound in DNS" really intended
> here or was that a typographical error for "... is found...".

"found". Will fix with a note that the quoted text has a typo.

> If
> it was intentional, as I realize it was, it is confusing and a
> definition of "bound in DNS" is required.  Hmm. I just read the
> relevant section of RFC 6561 and now know what was intended.
> This is still a horrible sentence that I'm astonished got by the
> RFC Editor.  Perhaps it would be a lot more clear if the I-D
> said something like "This occurs when a domain is bound to
> multiple address records (and hence multiple IP addresses), each
> of which has a very short Time-to-Live (TTL) value associated
> with it".  It could, however, be simplified even further, and
> made more consistent with the terminology used elsewhere in this
> I-D, if it talked about owners and RRsets, noting that "one
> RRset, one TTL value" rule implies that the TTLs cannot be
> different very short values as the sentence of 6561 implies.
> IMO, the I-D doesn't need to quote 6561 when it is clearly
> confusing (and as the last sentence indicates, fairly clearly
> too limiting); it should be entirely reasonable to paraphrase it
> in a way that is obviously consistent but more clear.
>
> 	(That sentence of 6561 probably deserves an erratum
> 	suggesting a clarified form.  I hope someone will file
> 	it.)

I'll do so.

> _Section 7_
>
> "Registry": This definition treats the Registry as both the
> operational entity and the related policy entity.  As one goes
> further down the tree, that is often the case, but, nearer the
> apex of the DNS tree, the policy entity ("whoever decides what
> data goes into a zone") may be very separate from the entity who
> is often described as the "Registry operator" (a term that
> probably belongs in this section or may, at the risk of more
> confusion, be a synonym for "DNS Operator" (see below)).  There
> may also be policy entities separate from the Registry who may
> impose significant constraints on the names that can be placed
> in the zone (including, btw, the IETF, especially if we continue
> on the Special Names path).  One can avoid making those
> distinctions by indicating that the definitions in the document
> are written from a DNS point of view, but then a definition of
> "Registrar" (or EPP, etc.) are probably not needed.

Agree that adding the "from a DNS point of view" for "registry".
Disagree about "registrar" not being needed: it is a commonly-used term.

> Note that
> the document's definition of "DNS operator" interacts with this
> distinction and reinforces the need for it.  It could even say
> that, for some zones, the registry function actually consists of
> a DNS operator and one or more relevant policy authorities who
> decide what names the DNS operator may add, maintain, etc. See
> also below.

Good addition.

> "WHOIS": The I-D might take the description a step further and
> explicitly say that the term "Whois data" or "Whois database"
> is used as a synonym for "registry database" or "registrant
> database" (regardless or whether accessed via the Whois
> protocol or not), but that usage should be discouraged because
> it causes confusion now and will cause more if, as the IETF
> hopes, Whois is eventually replaced for Registry Data and
> similar applications.

Good point.

> Also note that, while the original
> application of Whois has largely fallen out of use, the
> protocol is commonly used to access address registry databases,
> databases that are not usually considered DNS databases (the
> contents of the reverse-mapping zones subsidiary to ARPA. not
> withstanding).

Yep.

> "DNS Operator": This definition is a little convoluted.  A
> Registry Operator is almost certainly associated with a
> Registry ahd hence operates (or contracts out the operation of)
> servers that are authoritative for at least one zone.  But a
> DNS Operator may be operating recursive servers and not operate
> any servers that are authoritative for anything.  I think the
> readers should understand that before getting to the end of
> this definition and don't believe they will, especially because
> "registry operator" is not defined and this definition starts
> out by talking about authoritative servers.

This was discussed in the WG (with me agreeing with your desire about
recursive operators), but the rough consensus was with what is here now.

> _Section 8 and 9_
>
> I hope that the number of issues identified in this review will
> stimulate someone much more expert on DNSSEC than I am to
> carefully review these sections; I have not attempted to do so.
> However, I note that, in line with some of the comments above,
> this section appears to contain several normative, updating,
> clarifications of the various specifications which may not be
> appropriate for a BCP terminology document.

See [tag1] above. Also, discussions about DNSSEC are as prone to
definition creep as discussions about DNS.

> Section 9 presents two sets of definitions that it says "differ
> a bit", but makes no recommendations.  This would be entirely
> reasonable in an Informational document whose purpose was to
> warn readers that either definition might be in use and they
> needed to exercise care.  It would be equally appropriate as an
> informational explanation intended to lay the foundation for a
> WG to clean up the mess by identifying one definition from each
> pair as authoritative.  It is less reasonable in a BCP, at least
> without a careful explanation about how inconsistent definitions
> can both be "best practice".  In any of those cases, it would be
> more useful if the definitions were formatted to allow the
> reader to efficiently discover the differences: side by side,
> one term and both definitions before the next term, or something
> else that does not put the two sets of definitions on separate
> pages (or worse as we move to alternate RFC presentation forms).

See [tag1] above.

> Despite my sense that this draft still needs a lot of work, a
> serious effort to get DNS terminology clarified and under
> control is long overdue and I thank the authors and WG for
> taking it on.

When Andrew and I started this, I hilariously, naïvely said that this
would be easier than the i18n terminology document.

--Paul Hoffman