Re: My thoughts on local-use addresses

Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com> Tue, 29 April 2003 17:18 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:46:34 -0400
From: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
To: John Stracke <jstracke@centive.com>
cc: ietf@ietf.org, ipng <ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com>
Subject: Re: My thoughts on local-use addresses
Sender: owner-ietf@ietf.org

Even RFC1918 addresses get connected sometimes through corporate mergers.
It would work better if organizations would choose a random set of subnets
from 10/8, so the chance of overlap is minimized. Unfortunately, people
tend to use 10.0.0.1 and up, or 192.168.0.1, etc.  Then they have to
internally renumber to connect these networks internally, or else use
internal NATs. I don't really see this as a problem to be concerned with.
It is unavoidable to some extent and better random subnet selection would
tend to minimize the problem.

		--Dean