Re: Gen-ART Telechat review of draft-ietf-rtgwg-lf-conv-frmwk-06

Ben Campbell <ben@estacado.net> Mon, 19 October 2009 15:22 UTC

Subject: Re: Gen-ART Telechat review of draft-ietf-rtgwg-lf-conv-frmwk-06
From: Ben Campbell <ben@estacado.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:22:01 -0500
To: mike shand <mshand@cisco.com>
Cc: jgs@juniper.net, General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>, stbryant@cisco.com

Hi,

This email addresses all of my concerns. Specific comments inline

Thanks!

Ben.

On Oct 19, 2009, at 9:30 AM, mike shand wrote:

> Ben Campbell wrote:
>> I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
>> reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
>> http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).
>>
>> Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
>> or AD before posting a new version of the draft.
>>
>> Document: draft-ietf-rtgwg-lf-conv-frmwk-06
>> Reviewer: Ben Campbell
>> Review Date: 06 Oct 2009
>> IESG Telechat date: 08 Oct 2009

>> RFC. I have a few remaining nits that may be worth addressing if
>> there is a new revision, or possibly in auth 48--but none are worth
>> blocking publication.
>>
>> Note: I reviewed revision 5 at last call. This review is
>> incremental to that one. Most of my comments are addressed in
>> revision 6.
>>
>> Major issues: None
>>
>> Minor issues: None
>>
>> Nits/editorial comments:
>>
>> -- A few nits from my previous review resulted in no change. I
>> don't know if these were intentional choices (which is okay), or
>> oversights, So I will paste them below, along with any additional
>> comments where relevant:

>> No change. To amplify, you use the term "congestion loss", which I
>> read to mean "a reduction in congestion", i.e. a good thing. I
>> don't think that's what you meant. Do you mean something like
>> "packet loss due to congestion"?
> We have changed this to "congestive packet loss" in the next version

That helps, thanks!

>>> -- section 5.1, second to last paragraph:
>>>
>>> Is there a reference for the simulations?
>>
>> No change. It would be nice to have some evidence (a reference, or
>> a sentence of two describing the simulations )  to back up
>> assertions like "simulations indicate". Otherwise they come off as
>> weasel-words [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_words ]
> Some of these simulation results were presented to the IETF RTG-WG,
> but it doesn't seem appropriate in a framework draft such as this to
> go into significant details.

A compromise might be to simply say something to the effect of
"Simulations presented to the work group indicate...". But I have no
further objections if you thought about it, and still elected to keep
the text as is.

>>> -- 6.1, first paragraph:
>>>
>>> s/"can be proved"/"can be proven"
>>>
>>> Also, is there a reference for such a proof?
>>
>> No change. See previous comment re: weasel words.
>
> The reference cited in the next para contains such a proof. We have
> added another citation at this point

Okay, thanks, that helps.

> On 01/01/1970  wrote:
>> 1. Go to https://cisco.webex.com/cisco/j.php?J=206254345&PW=NMWY2NzkxMDIy
>> 2. Enter the meeting password: lfa
>> 3. Click "Join Now".
>> 4. Follow the instructions t

I assume this was a cut and paste error?