Re: Gen-ART review of draft-melnikov-sieve-imapext-metadata-08

"Spencer Dawkins" <spencer@wonderhamster.org> Tue, 23 December 2008 18:42 UTC

From: Spencer Dawkins <spencer@wonderhamster.org>
To: Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>
Subject: Re: Gen-ART review of draft-melnikov-sieve-imapext-metadata-08
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 12:41:24 -0600
Cc: General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>, ietf@ietf.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Hi, Alexey,

Thanks for the quick response back... now I can remember what I said in the
review ;-)

Spencer

> Spencer Dawkins wrote:
>> I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
>> reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
>> http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).
>> Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
>> you may receive.
>>
>> Document: draft-melnikov-sieve-imapext-metadata-08
>> Reviewer: Spencer Dawkins
>> Review Date: 2008-12-23
>> IETF LC End Date: 2009-01-14
>> IESG Telechat date: (not known)

>> notes below.
> Hi Spencer,
> Thank you for your review.
>> Comments:
>>

>> 3.  mailbox and mboxmetadata extensions
>>

>> 3.1.  Test mailboxexists
>>
>>   Note that a successful "mailboxexists" test for a mailbox doesn't
>>   necessarily mean that a "fileinto" action on this mailbox would
>>   succeed.  For example the "fileinto" action might put user over
>>   quota.  The "mailboxexists" only verifies existence of the mailbox
>>   and whether the user in whose context the Sieve script runs has
>>   permissions to execute fileinto on it.
>>
>> Spencer (nit): you've been putting "fileinto" in quotes, up to this
>> point -
>> suggest that this be consistent.
> Ok.
> In my experience RFC editors are quite good in catching this type of
> thing. But I will fix that if I need to publish another revision before
> publication.

I think all of my comments could be handled as RFC editor notes, if Lisa
prefers that - I'm good either way.

>>   The capability string for use with the require command is "mailbox".
>>
>>   Example: The following example assumes that the Sieve engine also
>>   supports "reject" [REJECT] and "fileinto" [SIEVE].  However these
>>   extensions are not required in order to implement the "mailbox"
>>   extension.
>>
>>        require ["fileinto", "reject", "mailbox"];
>>        if mailboxexists "Partners" {
>>           fileinto "Partners";
>>        } else {
>>           reject "This message was not accepted by the Mailstore";
>>        }
>>
>> 5.  Security Considerations
>>
>>   Extensions defined in this document deliberately don't provide a way
>>   to modify annotations.
>>
>> Spencer: The next two paragraphs punt to "same as sieve script" - could
>> you
>> provide a specific reference for the reader here?
> Reference to the Sieve document?

If that's where the security considerations for sieve scripts are located -
that would be fine.

>> Just the reference would
>> be fine, nothing else needed.
>>
>>   A failure to retrieve data due to the server storing the annotations
>>   being down or otherwise inaccessible may alter the result of Sieve
>>   processing.  So implementations SHOULD treat a temporary failure to
>>   retrieve annotations in the same manner as a temporary failure to
>>   retrieve a Sieve script.
>>
>>   Protocols/APIs used to retrieve annotations MUST provide the same
>>   level of confidentiality as protocols/APIs used to retrieve Sieve
>>   scripts.
>>

>> 6.  IANA Considerations
>>
>>   IANA is requested to add the following registrations to the list of
>>   Sieve extensions:
>>
>>   To: iana@iana.org
>>   Subject: Registration of new Sieve extension
>>   Capability name: mailbox
>>   optional argument to fileinto for creating a mailbox before
>>   attempting mail delivery.
>>   RFC number: this RFC
>>
>> Spencer: you probably want to add notes to IANA and the RFC Editor to
>> replace "this RFC" with the RFC number when it is assigned (just make it
>> easier for them).
> Ok.

Thanks again, and have a great week.

Spencer