Protocol Action: DNS Resolver MIB Extensions and Server MIB Extensions to Proposed Standard

IESG Secretary <iesg-secretary@CNRI.Reston.VA.US> Sun, 20 March 1994 17:24 UTC

To: IETF-Announce:;
Cc: Jon Postel -- RFC Editor <postel@isi.edu>
Cc: Internet Architecture Board <iab@isi.edu>
Cc: namedroppers@nic.ddn.mil
Cc: The Internet Engineering Steering Group <IESG@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US>
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: IESG Secretary <iesg-secretary@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>
Subject: Protocol Action: DNS Resolver MIB Extensions and Server MIB Extensions to Proposed Standard
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 12:24:01 -0500

The IESG has approved both the Internet-Drafts

	DNS Resolver MIB Extensions <draft-ietf-dns-resolver-mib-02.txt>

			and
	DNS Server MIB Extensions <draft-ietf-dns-server-mib-02.txt>

as Proposed Standards. These documents are the product of the Domain
Name System Working Group. The IESG contact person is Dave Crocker.

Technical Summary

The DNS MIBs allow remote monitoring and configuration control over DNS
resolver and name server entities, along with some diagnostic
capabilities. Since every host in the Internet is supposed to be
DNS-capable but most sites have at best one or two gurus who understand
DNS well enough to diagnose problems, we expect remote monitoring and
control capabilities to be important as the Internet continues to grow.
We also expect these MIBs to be of particular interest to Internet
service providers, who often have to maintain hundreds of separate DNS
zones on behalf of their customers.

Working Group Summary

There was no significant dissent, once the group discarded all the
wish-list items that appeared to be too ambitious.

Protocol Quality

The Network Management directorate reviewed the documents. There are at
present no known implementations.