Re: Motivation to submit an idea in IETF?

Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com> Fri, 22 January 2010 07:57 UTC

From: Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
To: Greg Daley <gdaley@netstarnetworks.com>
Subject: Re: Motivation to submit an idea in IETF?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 01:56:50 -0600
Cc: IETF-Discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>

On Jan 21, 2010, at 7:51 PM, Greg Daley wrote:

> I think that whetever the reason, documents submitted to the IETF
> are less likely to become standards track RFCs if there is critical
> IPR which must be licensed in order to construct the protocol.

As somebody who makes a living explaining patents to people who feel
threatened by an infringement suit, the simple fact is that the IETF
is appallingly (and blissfully) ignorant of the vast number of patents
that are filed relating to our RFCs. In general, we do not discover
that there is critical IPR until well after the  protocol is
published, then we get mad about it.

One rational for publishing rather than patenting is cost. If the goal
is to assure your rights to use your own invention rather than paying
a fee to a patent troll for that use, thorough publication of the
invention as early as possible may be a cost-effective solution in
countries whose regimes discredit 3rd-party patents of already-
published ideas. I've used this technique fairly effectively in patent-
busting in the US. I've even used mailing-list records to provide
invalidation arguments.

Writing an internet-draft describing the invention is cheap. Filing a
patent application is expensive. There are documentation fees, legal
fees, artwork fees, filing fees, maintenance fees, patent search fees,
and the ongoing hassle and expense of examination, re-examination,
forced continuations, and so on. You might spend upwards of $50,000 to
get a patent (although some do cost much less, especially the do-it-
yourself filings). And then you have to enforce the patent, and that's
not cheap; you have to look for people who might voluntarily license
it and negotiate with them, and you have to look for people who have
infringed it and work through a more adversarial negotiation or even
an infringement suit. I've seen infringement suits run above half a
million dollars.

But if you have a patent, don't maintain it, and don't enforce it, it
gets weaker or might even completely evaporate. Sure, it serves as
strong prior art to keep some other bozo from patenting the exact same
thing even if you let the patent "go to seed", but all they have to do
is tack on one important additional claim that your didn't foresee,
and you're back to having to pay the troll.

A submitted application is strong prior art. A published paper or
internet-draft is pretty good, but not as good. A really clear write-
up in mailing-list email can be helpful, especially if the "inventor
of record" (the person  whose name is on the patent app) is an active
participant on that mailing list.

So it all comes down to intent: If your business is a real participant
in the industry and you're going to make your money off of building
and selling a product that includes the invention, you may get
adequate protection for your business by publishing the invention
early on. If you're a big fish in the industry, then you probably can
benefit from having a pool of patents for cross-licensing with the
other big fish, so filing might be useful. And of course, if you're
not really participating in the industry but hope to make money off of
licensing the invention, then filing is the only way to go, although
it's harder to make money off such a patent than you might think.

In: "A Farewell to Alms: A Brief Economic History of the
World." (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2007. xii + 420
pp. $30 (cloth), ISBN: 978-0-691-12135-2), the author Gregory Clark
cites a number of cases relating to patented inventions in the textile
industry, where the inventors who relied on patents for their funding
died penniless, but the people who just built things and made product
with them experienced economic success. It's a good lesson to us all.
Its' a "good read" as well, and I highly recommend it; my depressing
theory, however, is that we're falling off the tail of the success
hump and sliding back into a strictly Malthusian model of supply,
demand, and starvation.

--
Dean