Re: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

"TS Glassey" <tglassey@earthlink.net> Fri, 22 August 2008 01:12 UTC

From: TS Glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
To: dcrocker@bbiw.net, IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 18:04:26 -0700
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

IP Folks

The fact that there is a IPR process means that there is now an obligation
to use it, and so we now need to factor in what it was intended for.

To meet this new hurdle my suggestion is that the IP Submission Process now
also has a set of statement's with checkboxes added which say something
like:

   "The submitter declares they have reviewed the IPR database and this new
submission doesn't violate any of the published IPR notices that the IETF is
aware of at the submission time. "

As to why, the smartest thing to do is to offload that as a new checkbox on
the submission form.  Likewise the template for the email submitted material
would also want a new declaration added to it as well as a eSign statement
to cover all the bases.

Todd