RE: [Sipping] Last Call: draft-ietf-sipping-dialogusage (Multiple Dialog Usages in the Session Initiation Protocol) to Informational RFC

"Ian Elz \(CV/ETL\)" <ian.elz@ericsson.com> Tue, 08 May 2007 14:06 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 10:29:05 +0200
From: "Ian Elz (CV/ETL)" <ian.elz@ericsson.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Cc: sipping@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Last Call: draft-ietf-sipping-dialogusage (Multiple Dialog Usages in the Session Initiation Protocol) to Informational RFC

Paul,

I am not sure that there will be any major issues but the work to
understand how b2buas need to behave in these situations is just
beginning.

The issue with Replaces is one area which need to be explored as
indicated in the draft. While the draft indicates that the issue of
Replaces and multiple dialog usages is not understood as Replaces can
only be a header to an INVITE and then INVITE Replaces must be a new
usage as you can't have more than a single INVITE usage on a dialog.

We have to examine how the Replaces header is passed, specifically in
the Refer-To header and how the mapping of the Replaces within this
header is performed, if needed. The whole passing of REFER in a separate
dialog needs to be examined, specifically how the b2bua handles a REFER
on a new dialog and how you determine the intent of the usage, e.g. is
the REFER an INVITE to add a party to a conference or is this a
transfer. The means by which the b2bua handles a REFER with a
target-dialog header needs to be understood.

There may not be any specific issues and if this is found to be so then
the additional information can be added to the dialogusage draft. If
there are specific issues then these can also be included.

I just think that publishing an informational RFC while there is ongoing
study is premature.

Ian Elz

Office: + 44 24 764 35256
gsm: +44 7801723668